Neck Removal Aid

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Neck Removal Aid

Post by Stray Feathers »

I needed to do a neck removal on a new build, to get the darn thing right. I wanted to do a cleaner job than I have done in the past, so was looking for neck removal tools that I could build myself for this immediate task, and not take too long in doing it. I was pleasantly surprised when I finally came across this video by luthier MJ Baresi, describing his simple, elegant tool (maybe it was someone else's idea originally? I don't know . . .). It consists of three sticks of wood, a little hardware, two cam clamps, and a Pony clamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnV-AORpCls

So I made one, in about an hour last night. Today I used it, with a fretboard extension heater from LMII. It worked really well, and resulted in the cleanest neck removal I've done by far. The Pony clamp pulls the neck heel up (with a protective caul) as the heat softens the glue. A couple of comments: I made mine from Douglas-fir scraps and it would have been better if the wood was a little thicker, to give more lifting room for the clamp. I could also use some shims under the side arms. I did not put leather or cork on the underside of the side arms but will likely do that. The clamp tends to lift the bolt-on heel away from the body but I just watched that, took it slow, and it was fine. More precise clamp placement might help too. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLT

Re: Neck Removal Aid

Post by JLT »

Well done! I did something similar when I removed the neck of a Yamaha dreadnaught (a helluva job, since I had to deal with whatever glue Yamaha had used). I think your arrangement is a bit neater than mine was, though.
banjopicks

Re: Neck Removal Aid

Post by banjopicks »

Very neat and simple device. I'm going to copy this ide for my next reset. Let me know if you make any improvements and thanks for sharing.