Inspection Mirror Recommendations?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rcnewcomb

Inspection Mirror Recommendations?

Post by rcnewcomb »

What are your recommendations for a set of inspection mirrors for looking at the inside of acoustic guitars?
Should I have both flat and magnifying?
Do any come with lights that are useful?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Bob Gleason

Re: Inspection Mirror Recommendations?

Post by Bob Gleason »

My recommendations are anything that will fit in the sound hole. I have a few. If you look in hardware store bargain bin, there are usually some there. I have not found magnifying ones or expensive lutherie ones with lights to be necessary. The lighted ones are always dead when I need them. I do much better by sticking a light in the box. You can make a small light from Christmas tree lights. Stew-Mac does have a nice rechargeable light that works in guitars, but not small instruments. If you need a directed light, you can bounce the beam off a mirror with a flashlight. Beware that lights get hot quick, so you can easily damage a finish if you leave a light in contact with the inside wood for long.
phavriluk

Re: Inspection Mirror Recommendations?

Post by phavriluk »

Contradictory response: I have a couple of the lit ones. I found that they work and I find one-hand use convenient. I haven't seen any battery-life problems, LED's don't eat much and on-times are short. These ain't reading lights. Cheap enough to try for oneself.
peter havriluk