The eternal search for the Holy Grail of Binding tools

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Srick

Re: The eternal search for the Holy Grail of Binding tools

Post by Srick »

Every time I walk into our local Woodcraft store, I guarantee that I'll buy at least $60 worth of supplies. Thank God there aren't StewMac brick and mortar stores.
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I recently bought one similar to Diane's and I agree it is wonderful. It's a Grobet which I ordered from Contenti Jewellery Tools - $22 and change. I ordered one for a friend also, so $45 - and then $37 to ship to Canada!

https://contenti.com/jewelers-metal-fil ... -s-riffler

My friend has a similar Grobet which has "safe" sides and would be handy for some uses. But I did not see that model on the Contenti site or the Grobet site so maybe it is discontinued. Bruce W.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You can always take it to a grinding wheel and create your own safe sides,
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Diane, I have those kind of files. Just did not know of them as razor files. They are kind of buried in my file drawer because I did not find a lot of use for them. I'll dig them out and try again. Thanks, Bob
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

also learn how to sharpen the router bit. I use a diamond belt and clean the edges every use.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John- Diamond belt on a knife sharpener?1"
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:08 am Diane, I have those kind of files. Just did not know of them as razor files. They are kind of buried in my file drawer because I did not find a lot of use for them. I'll dig them out and try again. Thanks, Bob
I thought you already had something like these. I have found that a lighter touch will get you there faster with these, then a heavy hand. They simply cut better if you don't use pressure.

Good old razor blades or a square scraper will clean binding channels nicely. The files are easier for me to use given the problems with my hands.

I may have gotten the first file from Philadelphia Luthier or EBay. I can't remember.

Srick, they know me by my first name at Woodcraft. They'll probably name a room after me...
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:04 am also learn how to sharpen the router bit. I use a diamond belt and clean the edges every use.
John, may I suggest that perhaps you could make a video in the future on sharpening tools? I know many would be interested in how to sharpen chisels, but also bits etc.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Srick

Post by Srick »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:32 pm Srick, they know me by my first name at Woodcraft. They'll probably name a room after me...
Sort of like the ‘Cheers’ bar: “Diane!”

Well, the initial steps have been taken. Tail block is glued and neck block is curing as I type. The game is afoot!
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Srick, good for you. Keep plodding forward.Stick,

I'm a veteran, so I get a discount at Woodcraft. They store the info by phone number. You know you're a regular when the staff remember your phone number! Honest to God, 1 knows it and another remembers all except the last 2 numbers.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars