Press and Seal Food Wrap

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Press and Seal Food Wrap

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've been using waxed paper for a long time as a barrier between glue and clamps. It can take 4 hands to hold waxed paper in place over a cleat, while placing magnets.

My swearing the F bomb can be heard across Parkersburg, after dropping something for the 5th time in a row. Sometimes fixes are in front of your face.

I've had this box of Glad Press and Seal for years and it was sitting in the shop unused. I wasn't sure how much glue would stick to it, but after dropping a magnet for the 10th time the other day, I spied the box sitting under the bench. I put some on the back of a guitar that needed the center back seam glued into place, then used my magnets.

The magnets came right off, but so did the press and seal, the glue not adhering at all to the sticky side of the Press and Seal.

Press and Seal is my new best friend.
20230521_150110.jpg
20230521_150701.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Re: Press and Seal Food Wrap

Post by Bob Gleason »

Diane- Is Press and Seal any different than Saran Wrap? Not familiar with it. Thanks, Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:04 pm Diane- Is Press and Seal any different than Saran Wrap? Not familiar with it. Thanks, Bob
Yes. One side of the Press and seal feels tacky. So, it'll stick to anything without residue.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Thanks, Bob
jread

Post by jread »

ooh. good idea. Wax paper is a pain for me too. I'll try this for sure!
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I’ve used it and it works well.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I guess I should have been more precise with the above comment. Actually, I have used it successfully on raw wood with no issues.
Several days ago I needed to spray a few touch up coats of lacquer on the sides of a body that already had the finish coats applied. I covered the back and top with Press & Seal to mask. It stayed in place bout 2 hours. After letting the lacquer cure 3 days or so, I started scratch sanding the sides today. When I got the body under my work lights I found a number of coin sized spots on both the top and back where there was a reaction with the lacquer. Using 600 grit, I got almost all the spots leveled except for one. It’s going to need to be drop filled.
After this experience, I would not recommend using Press & Seal on a finished instrument.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

On that subject, also be careful masking with newspaper. I have used it, in a pinch, to mask off windows (while painting cars) and I always have to razor blade off paint that has permeated the newsprint. No big deal on glass, but bad on an existing finish.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Anytime you apply something with adhesive to a lacquer finish, get it off as soon as possible. The longer it sits, the more possibility of reaction with the finish. When using tape, even the stuff they call low tack and lacquer safe, do the T-shirt trick and remove some of the adhesive from the tape. Not perfect, but it helps.
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

As I'm new to this whole luthier thing - and I've been reading as much as I can between stints in jury duty - I was pretty intrigued when I saw this post. I was the original inventor of Press'n Seal some 28 years ago. Did all the early prototypes all the way through commercial production (which now takes place in a Glad Products plant in Rogers, AR).

Agree - do not apply to any finish. The adhesive on Press'n Seal will aggressively adhere to anything smooth like a finish. But on bare wood, should be just fine.

Thanks for sharing this! Kind of made my day.

Ken McGuire