Nut files

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Nut files

Post by Bob Gleason »

Anyone bought the pricey Music Nomad diamond nut slot files with the plastic handles? I have a dozen or so totally worn out nut files and it is time to bite the bullet and get new ones. I have tried every type of file that the lutherie suppliers sell. They all work, but I really don't think any of them are exceptional. Except for one type of flat gauged file that Stew-Mac sells, which I have, all files are about the same. Just wondering if the diamond ones are actually good. All files are pricey, so it only matters if they work. I am aware of all the alternatives like using welding files, but I prefer actual nut files.Thanks, Bob
tippie53

Re: Nut files

Post by tippie53 »

torch cleaners suck I use the grobet files that you see in typical nut file sets. I remember for a short time stew mac have the fret slot saws Martin used those they were great but I think they were disconitued. So anyone with diamond experience let us know
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I don’t own a set of the Nomads, but after reading all the descriptions the thing I like are the rounded “string shape” file cutting edges. I always lay out the center line of each nut slot with a shallow cut with a .010 Xacto saw. Those rounded edges should center out nicely in that guide slot. I personally don’t have the technique to attempt cutting a .056” slot with a .056” file/saw and starting the cut perfectly centered over the theoretical slot centerline, shooting the slot angle towards its particular tuner post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use the technique I learned when trained at Martin. I come in from each edge .1 in use the 2 E strings and set the taper to the side of the fret board then use a caliper and measure the spacing divide by 5 thats the spacing. The biggest tip was to think roller not ramp. I believe this gives the string better slide ability and you can check that by tuning the string then push down on that string at the head stock , that will pull sharp then go back to within 2 cents
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

“Roller” makes good sense. Smoother tuning and perhaps a better contact area for enhanced sound.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I cheat. I have the SM string spacing ruler, based on a vernier. I mark both E's then put the ruler on the nut. When both line up in the holes, I mark the other 4.

I use an xacto saw to start the slots. It keeps my nut files straight. I move the files from side to side as I cut, opening the top a bit more. I finish off by using abrasive chord in the slots to clean and smooth them.

I'm in the same situation. It's time to bite the big green weenie and buy new nut files.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I rock my files as I work the slot, also. Being frugal, my nut “files” are a variety of hacksaw and coping saw blade segments that I have thinned with belt sander to provide different thicknesses. I also dull them, a speedy cut is dangerous. I finish things with folded pieces of 320/500/1000 grit wet or dry.
I only cut about a dozen new nuts a year. If I did more, real fret files would be a good investment.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_-zTGFtg4&t=47s
here is how I do a 12 string nut
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Nice video John. Also worth watching on this subject is the video on the Nut Slot Making tool jig that Don and Dan do on the Stew-Mac site. I have that jig and it works great when it can be used. Most all of my instruments have a volute, and that sometimes interferes with using the tool the way it was intended. I like it when I can use it.-Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:04 pm Nice video John. Also worth watching on this subject is the video on the Nut Slot Making tool jig that Don and Dan do on the Stew-Mac site. I have that jig and it works great when it can be used. Most all of my instruments have a volute, and that sometimes interferes with using the tool the way it was intended. I like it when I can use it.-Bob
I have the jig too, but like you, I've found the volute interferes with it. I simply draw the line as intended by holding the spacers manually.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com