Nut files

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Nut files

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

TEETERFAN wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:42 pm I rock my files as I work the slot, also. Being frugal, my nut “files” are a variety of hacksaw and coping saw blade segments that I have thinned with belt sander to provide different thicknesses. I also dull them, a speedy cut is dangerous. I finish things with folded pieces of 320/500/1000 grit wet or dry.
I only cut about a dozen new nuts a year. If I did more, real fret files would be a good investment.
I totally understand that. I cut nuts pretty much daily. I've used the nut cutting rods; they work okay. They cut slowly, but you can cut decent slots with them and they're less than $10/set.

Understand what you're getting with these. They're thin and the cutting area is limited. If you decide to use these, you should start the slot with an xacto type saw first. You have to hold both ends and work slowly. You'll have to clean them as you're using them, because they can clog. But, you can cut nice slots with them, if you take your time.

Holmer Guitar Nut Slotting File Saw Rods Slot Filing Set Needle File Set Luthier Replacement Tools Tip Cleaner Files.

https://a.co/d/9hccaK1

There are other listings on Amazon for these files.

Another alternative is simply a diamond needle file. A set costs $10. In almost every set there's at least one with a knife edge. Again, it's best to start with the xacto saw, go slow.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I can't add much useful here except a suggestion: I ordered some of these "feather edge files" from Lee Valley:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/search# ... Results=25

They are meant for sharpening Japanese saws, but I bought them to do a better job modifying sheet metal nibblers for fret tang nipping. I previously used a triangular file but the angle is too wide. Thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9640&p=56321&hilit=fret+tang#p56321

These do a better job on that modification and I will post an update soon, but for this thread, these files are very fine and are also useful for starting nut slots. Hosco also sells some too, and mentions nut slotting. I have only used them a little so far (more nuts coming) but they are good, and using them for some of the slotting process might save wear and tear on more expensive nut files. Bruce W.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Next time I use the jig, I'll try shaping a shim that works with the volute. Nice if the spacer can be held in place when you are filing the slot depth. On the nut files, I understand that specialty tools are not for the casual users. I did get my set of Nomad files for acoustic guitar today. It will also work for ukes. Nylon strings are pretty forgiving. I used them today on a bone nut and a micarta nut. I don't know what their life will be like, but new ones are really nice. No binding in the slots. I saw some mention that they cut too fast. Well, they do cut fast and that is a plus for me. You just have to stay awake when you are filing and don't get too crazy bearing down. Nice that they can be bought individually becase some files always get more use and wear faster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bob Gleason on Tue May 16, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

keep us posted
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com