double C clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Re: double C clamps

Post by Stray Feathers »

Thanks, BlindBo, for showing how you do it. One of my issues has been that my mould did not have a smooth curve where the tail block sits. So I took some time and modified that so it works better to clamp the block when in the mould. I managed with two cam clamps, and some spring clamps to make sure the loose ends were tight, and got good glue squeezeout all around. I also wanted to share the clamping caul I made up (some time ago) to straddle the latch on the mould, which makes it much easier to position clamps. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I like your spreader idea. I’ll check tomorrow to see if I have enough grip in my double clamps to add a spreader. Getting the clamps to bite on the mold can take a little juggling.

I use to glue them w/o the mold (sort of freehand) using large, square blocks that I can secure to my work bench and adjust the centerline distance to match the plans. Stew Mac suggests adding curvature to your gluing caul blocks by adding a tin coat of bondo and clamping it to the end blocks (obviously with wax paper in between) to create a matching curve. Since going to the mold clamping and the need to have a flat neck joint, I don’t worry about the radius on the tail block too much.
Take care
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I also have not been able to get as tight a joint with these as I can with 5 clamps, which what I usually end up using. I don't find it too difficult to juggle the clamps. The double clamps are a good conversation piece though!