extension heating blanket

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
jread

extension heating blanket

Post by jread »

I've had some bad luck using a clothing iron to heat the extension for removal. Uneven heating and lots of overhang which seems impossible to insulate well so I switched to the 3"x5" heating blanket from Blues Creek Guitars. It is a huge improvement. I only removed fret 15 to insert the steam needle, then held the blanket and slowly heated the extension using the variable setting on the controller. After 2-3 minutes, I ran it up to high for about a minute. I prob could have used less heat. The spatula slid under to the end without any trouble. I use a long spatula , start in a corner, then lift the blade ends slightly off the finish so the blade slices and pulls up the extension all the way to the pocket of the dovetail. Then, I steamed the neck with a needle.

This is shellac French polish and the marring near the edge from tape will disappear with more polishing. Next time, I'll probably skip the tape. It seems to heat up and then cause finish issues whereas very hot water and even direct steam does not seem to bother shellac at all.

That's also my 1st sunburst, I'll post it when it's done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: extension heating blanket

Post by tippie53 »

that how you do it
great job
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: extension heating blanket