Ideas for Bench Wall/Overhead Structure

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
PSmill

Ideas for Bench Wall/Overhead Structure

Post by PSmill »

Hi, I'm moving into a new garage. My new work bench is on lower-able wheels (Lee Valley), it's pretty heavy and can lower it onto the floor for max stability, and it can be lifted onto the wheels to move. There is a large window well positioned to push it up agains for the natural light. I am planning to build a structure-thing over the workbench, 2 walls and a top, effectively the structure would be like one of the work cubbies in the photo, the bench could still be rolled in and out when needed, but when pushed up again the garage wall within the structure, there would be a tool hanging wall on each side, and storage above with a good work light suspended there, and the whole exterior window would be right in front of the bench. Looking to maximize the light and then surround the workspace with functionality. Will set the dimensions to ensure some elbow room and headspace with enough room to stand a guitar upright as well. Looking for any ideas or photos on how to construct and configure such a thing? Tnx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Re: Ideas for Bench Wall/Overhead Structure

Post by Stray Feathers »

Looks like a great idea - the window is a luxury! I would add one thing for sure - a bird feeder outside the window! Bruce W. (also in BC)
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Do you need to move your work bench? If not, consider bolting it to the wall. Then it is Solid, no matter what you do to it or on it. If you do truly need a movable bench, that won't work, of course.
If you build the overhead storage bin, adjust things so it can be the top plate of a go-bar setup, the benchtop being the bottom.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Ok thanks I hadn't considered the bird feeder :) For bolting the bench to the wall, I had considered at the last place mounting some 2x4 to the wall with threaded rod sticking out horizontally, drill holes in the bench legs and then the bench could be "docked" to the wall, and released when needed. I'll see about the go-bar idea, not sure the upper shelf will be rigid enough at 1/2" ply, but I'm sure I can make a modification if needed, will think about that one, thanks. Started last night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

This turned out pretty good! Turned a work bench into a luthier workspace, I think it will be a nice place to work.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

I work in my basement and would give anything for that window in front of your bench. I may have to make a faux window with some rabbits munching on the lawn.