Back brace clamping system

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
tippie53

Re: Back brace clamping system

Post by tippie53 »

depending on the glue , I do like the vacuum press but for HHG the gobar deck works the best for me.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Hey John -- why is the vacuum press not compatible with the HHG? Like I stated before I am just too lazy to use HHG but I am curious as to the concerns regarding the vacuum clamp which I reccomend often.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You need a vacuum platen not the bag to use HHG as it is tough to get the HHG glue into a clamp before it sets up . This stuff sets up very fast compared to tite bond . I use my gobar deck with HHG . It works the best for getting things under pressure . You can add heat to help with the tack time . By the time you have the braces glued and set the HHG will set up before you can bag it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is a pretty neat contraption. Perhaps overkill for a couple of guitars, but if you plan on many, then you should be able to crank them out.

Kevin
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:That is a pretty neat contraption. Perhaps overkill for a couple of guitars, but if you plan on many, then you should be able to crank them out.

Kevin
I built a few of those 2 years ago and tried to sell them on the OLF classifieds and didn't get any interest. When people see them in person, I've sold 3... go figure.

It's an updated copy of the press in the C F Martin museum that they used to use in the old factory.

If I do another one, I'll widen it enough to use a standard radius dish as the clamping caul.

I've found, if you use a radius dish to contour the rim, you can pad the dish and use it for a clamping caul and end up with a perfect joint for the back and side. I went from needing binding to cover the top/back joint to being able to leave the rim unbound if I wanted to.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
kickngas

Post by kickngas »

Tony,
it really is not that big, plus it makes a good storage rack for the clamping caul, radius dish and you can store your back and side woods in ot under flat ply and apply pressure until you need them.
Steve
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

It is a little bulky. I might try to make the next one break down easily.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.