Roping the Binding Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
RHayes

Roping the Binding Jig

Post by RHayes »

I didn't have the confidence to use the traditional roping of the binding and had already routed all the ledges for binding and purfling both front and back. This holder doesnt allow the cord to damage the 3 quarters not being worked on and you simply use which ever side required. This is going to save me a fortune in tape!! :) and no pulled fibers from tape removal. I had a box of 1/4 x 1" rivets so used them 1-1/2" apart. Saw something like it on line where 1/2" dowels were used at 2" apart so lots of possibilities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Roping the Binding Jig

Post by tippie53 »

there is always another way to do the same thing
if it works that is all that matters
thanks for sharing
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

That's really neat. I don't mind stocking up on stretchy tape and use shellac to seal which solves the fiber pulling. But man, it seriously takes me an hour or more to lift the tape off and clean it up. This looks fun too.
RHayes

Post by RHayes »

It really did seem fun and look forward to using it again. I just wanted to add that in drilling the holes in the edge of the plywood, an awl and regular machinist bit was used and the plys would make the bit move a little. Toward the end I decided to use a dowling jig with a guide bushing and the holes were nice and uniform.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've done the same thing. It works great at pulling in the waist and corners of the bouts, the usual problem areas. Thanks for sharing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com