Dovetail Clamp

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Dovetail Clamp

Post by Bob Gleason »

A while back a friend sent me a link to a New York Times article on the Martin factory. One of the photos showed a dovetail being clamped into place. I immediately saw that this was something I needed. A sturdy, freestanding clamp was perfect for dovetails. I'm done with metal clamps that have a nasty habit of coming loose if you don't clamp them just right. I talked to John and he told me the Martin ones were once made by Jorgenson. I ordered a press screw from John, like the ones we use on our side benders. It is perfectly adapted to making this kind of clamp. Easy and cheap to make in any size from laminated quality plywood. Last photo is the Martin one, and the other 2 are mine. Enjoy your building! Stay safe.-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Dovetail Clamp

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Excellent idea!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

I've noticed that clamp and it was on my list of things to build. Thanks! Better stock up on screw clamps, John. :D

I hung up this ad over my bench as I am nearly certain I met this craftsperson on my tour of the factory while she was carving golden era bracing for us. She's sitting in the old factory here I believe. It was closed that day. A couple of those clamps on the wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jread on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

love the koa veneer
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

John,
With that CNC machine you could make all parts from wood.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

wood screws dont hold up lol I like the martin copy
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I built a second big brother to compliment little brother. I found that a slightly deeper throat was useful. If you make one of these, make yourself a cardbard template to test the size for your project.-Bob
Last edited by Bob Gleason on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

they are cool
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

So what is the benefit? depth of throat? lighter weight? cost?
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Benefits are that you can have any depth of throat you want, or any custom size foot. Clamps can be designed to fit very specific needs. They are slightly lighter than big steel clamps, but I don't think that matters. Being almost 3" wide, they are stable and free standing which is very nice and convenient for instrument dovetail work. Unlike metal clamps, wood clamps have more flex so that when the glue dries and the joint closes more, wood clamps will often stay put where metal clamps can let loose. This does not matter if you are doing heavy clamping, but in situations of fairly light clamping like when doing dovetails it can be a factor. Besides all of that, making a useful tool that I can't buy, or a better one than I could buy, makes my time in the shop more pleasurable everytime I use it.