Band Saw

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kencierp

Re: Band Saw

Post by kencierp »

We have a Grizzly Ultimate 14" Bandsaw here in the shop -- I'd rate it respectable --- it does have ball bearing guides but the bearings are almost fragile -- they are the standard "skateboard/rollerblade" 608's and failed quickly. Its under powered for resawing and I go back and forth whether to install a larger motor (+$300 or so). More then likely I will bit the bullet and sell it. Bottom line for what I originally wanted to do with it (blanking operations) -- a Delta would have been a better choice and now since we resaw a lot more material it does not meet our needs. The table leveling system is a little Mickey Mouse, the blade tensioning knob is way too small. The fence is a PITA since it does not positively locate and has to be messed with because the lock lever moves it out of position. OK I am not trashing, just telling the truth I own it, these are not rumors. For hobbyist its OK, but it is simply out of place in a pro shop -- the end.
Last edited by kencierp on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I have a 10" 3 wheel bench top Craftsman saw. It is getting tired. It has served me now for about 16 years, but I am ready for something bigger; more powerful that I can do some resawing on with some degree of accuracy.
I don't know how cost effective it is to buy a huge saw to try and saw my own boards down into guitar sets, but I like the idea of trying to do it. I know there are a couple guys here (both Kens) who do this...chime in guys, is it worth it?

Kevin
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Find a used Inca 340 if you want a top quality small saw for ~$200. Good luck finding one. I have an older 18" Rikon (a CL bargain) with a 1" blade for ripping and resawing and it works for my needs. Nothing special but adequate. I hate changing blades so when I found the little Craftsman for sale cheap on CL I grabbed it to have a separate saw for a narrow blade. It just needed the belt tightened! Hums like a new Lexus and cuts unless I try to overtax it.