Band Saw

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
hummingbird

Band Saw

Post by hummingbird »

Im about to start my first kit and I'll need a bandsaw to cut out the headstock and bridge. I'll also use it for other stuff like cutting bindings etc.

I don't want to spend more than $200.00 or so. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Alain
Tarhead

Re: Band Saw

Post by Tarhead »

I have this 10" Craftsman/Rikon bandsaw for small precise cuts and scrolling cuts. They show up often on Craigslist here, not sure about the great white north.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... _productpg The 9" version is just as good but you're limited on re-saw height. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G8 They're actually better buillt than the Rikon versions.

An Inca #340 10 1/2" is my dream small bandsaw if one ever turns up locally. They show up in larger markets regularly in the $200 raange. Built like a Swiss watch but not made anymore.
grouper

Post by grouper »

I recently had to do the same thing. I used to have a full size bandsaw but found I didnt need anything that big. I never intend to resaw so height is not an issue either.
The Sears units didnt look very good in the store and overpriced so I went to Craigslist and got a newish 9" Delta. It looks and feels very substantial and the owner delivered it.
I have had a hard time finding a good blade though. I know that the Sears blades that size are not good and was hoping for a Lenox or timberwolf but couldnt find a source so I took a chance on a Bosch from the local Lowes. I havent got it on yet so I dont know how it will cut.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I just went through a slew of blades I had gotten from home depot. They just snapped cutting 1" stock, cutting straight too. Blades were not too tight, were not binding anywhere in their path, don't know what happened.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The Olson "Pro-line" blades have worked well for us go to amazon for the best deal at the time. We get our Lenox flexback blades custom made from a place called "Bandsaw Blades Direct" Our kerfing machine is a retro fit Delta 9" -- the blades for that are very thin kerf .043" x 3/8" the house brand available at Menards -- inexpensive and last for along time.
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

If it is just for a few fine cuts, have you thought of a scroll saw?

Since I've started guitar building, i find that I am using mine a lot more (It is a 25 year-old hand-me-down that I got from my father). The model I use is available new here in Canada for $130, and often goes on sale.

I have a 14" band saw which I love for bigger work - I have never had much luck with the smaller band saws (Maybe that is a "training issue", rather than a tool quality issue) ... I find the scroll saw much more reliable.
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

the blade is as important, if not more, than the saw. don't give in to that evil little voice inside, that wants you to skimp on the price of blades. it's evil, i tell ya!
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Ditto Rick!!! all the way

Plus its great fun to find a bargain of any kind.
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

A couple of things:

Check out John at http://www.woodcraftbands.com
I get Lennox bi-metal blades from him. He is an excellent source of bandsaw knowledge and his prices are very good. Tell him what you want to do and which saw you have and go with his suggestion.

If you need replacement parts or pretty much anything related to a bandsaw, Louis Itturra in Jacksonville, FL is the source. His catalog is a great source of information. He's old school, no website. (904) 642-2802
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went window shopping today to sears, home depot, rona etc. and just as Runningdog and Ken said, anything in my price range is junk. It would be impossible to make an accurate cut with such flimsy equipment. Even the higher end ones didn't seem any better. They were toy like.

I am willing to spend a bit more for the good stuff if I can find it. I read reviews on the internet that favored the Grizzly 14" saw which I cant buy here in Canada. Its $399.00. I travel throughout the US regularly. Could anyone suggest where I could see one of these in the flesh. Has anyone seen one of these? It would have to be outstanding for me to pay that kind of $$ and lug it back to Canada.

I think Ill be looking for a used one.
Alain