CNC 101

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
tippie53

CNC 101

Post by tippie53 »

after having and using my cnc during this pandemic I have learned a few things.
A is cnc perfect? it is only as good as the programing
B is the machine complete? No the things they don't tell you about are the fixturing and holding. As a machinist
I was aware of this but is often a major concern . I use MDF as a spoil board , and use that to attach my work. Often you have to pierce your work so learn about using tabs and understand the mechanics of what you need to do.
C tooling not all cutters are the same. Some woods machine better than others plywood's are especially tricky and can tear out with out the proper tooling.
D dust collection often the dust boots included or sold are below par. I retooled mine as the brushes would get caught in the cutter and block the vacuum.
E software this is trick as some manufactures will have proprietary software, so do your homework
F collets I hate routers on cnc they are loud and hard to control speeds so I opted for the RF water cooled spindel, I wish I would have done more homework as this came with er 12 collets that limits my tooling shaft to 5/16 in an ER 20 would have options to 1/2 in.
G temperature with electronics you don't want to use the machine where you get too cold or condensation can accumulate and damage your electronics.

So all in all I am happy with the machine and I have learned how to program. It took about 8 hrs till I got the first piece of the machine and I am learning all the time. It was a major investment but it is helping me be a better supplier.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Re: CNC 101

Post by Morecowbell »

John,

Thanks for the updates and please keep them coming! These are very interesting machines and I love hearing about the real world experience of setting one up and running it. I had my canoe forms CNC'd and it was great to know that whatever happened, I was starting from an accurate foundation - seems very similar in guitar building.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Just bought a small one Wednesday. Made my first sawdust with it yesterday.

Using V Carve for the CAD/CAM side. Reasonably easy and a lot cheaper than MasterCAM which we use at work and school.

I have the opposite collet issue - I need to use 1/8” collets and the router is 1/4”. I’m considering mounting a dremel for the spindle while I get a correct sized collet.

Inlay and small parts are my main goal. My brother in law is getting a 48x48 machine in January for the big stuff.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

look at these the rf spindels are much better than routers and when you slow then
down they still have lots of power
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301386 ... 5614%23597
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Depending on your router brand, there may be 3rd-party collets available. See http://elairecorp.com/routercollets.html
I got 1/8" and 3/16" collets for my DeWalt router, and they're top quality.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Likewise PreciseBits has top quality collets in various sizes for routers and for ER tooling.

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I’m considering mounting a dremel for the spindle while I get a correct sized collet.
For hand work they are fine, but the Dremel has too much runout and flex, particularly with side loads, for use on a CNC.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
AluminumTop

Post by AluminumTop »

Hello,
New to this forum and i see you all getting into CNC ! Love it !
IF you need anything in this field from an old-timer just ask.
Been doin this waay to long and still loving the craft.
Anybody here remember vacuum tubes and Ampex tape drives?

I really like to teach cad advanced splines and complex surfacing.
Everything i have learned was on the taxpayer's (your) dime. i owe you.
attached pict.
And have a 1999 cad system that does everything once one learns it.
Still having fun !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I have a primitive 2D CAD setup that I cut outlines with. On occasion I've done 3D by doing my own G-code programming, but that is pretty tedious.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion