Router question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
msanch24

Re: Router question

Post by msanch24 »

deadedith wrote:"If we're not careful, cheap will be our only option soon"

Well said, Mark. But that ship may already have sailed.

DaveB
Very true. Not to sound too much like I'm sprung from the bible belt (my political views are far more eclectic than this suggests), but I shouldn't have to work to find something that's made in my own country. That choice should be readily available.

-matt
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

A slogan from the past......
"The Quality Goes In Before the Name Goes On"
you old guys rack your brains and remember which company that was.
Anyway, Tarhead I hope you didn't take offense about my puzzled comment, I was just trying to be a little humorous.

When tools were being made in the USA, the quality standards could be controlled by Americans. Although the quality of a name brand, now made in China (and they just about all are) maybe be intended to be controlled by company specifications to be met in the Chinese factory, the quality of the products coming out of China is not the same as "in the old days". Also, many of these tools/different brands probably come out of the same factories and may share parts.
Is a Bosch/Dewalt/Ryobi etc, better quality than a HF or Grizzly??
I imagine so, just like a Lexus is better quality than a Yugo.
People bought Yugos and many regretted it a year later. In fact, I have not seen a Yugo on the road in a long long time. Not many I suppose buy a Lexus and regret it....at least until they have to make the payment each month!

So I concur.....buy the best tool you can afford!!!!
By the way, I am now accepting donations to purchase better quality tools. You can send me $$ via my Paypal account. :>)

And now I will climb down from the box.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I will contribute but it will be in Yen? :-)

A couple of things:

1. We have made some awful quality things in the USA as well, so while making it here is a great start, it's not the whole answer.

2. Take my brother - please. Anyway, he used to chide me, back in the day, about paying for 'just the name' when it came to my penchant for stereo equipment made by Sony or perhaps a German maker. But there was a reason we paid 'just for the name' - they had Earned the bigger price because at that time their products were way ahead of USA quality. 'Made in USA' has not earned that respect for a while, in most cases; I surely hope that we once again become leaders in innovation and quality.

3. As an aside, my bro always bought stereo equipment by lifting it up and feeling its weight; the heavier the component, in his mind, the better the product. He was surprisingly accurate. This may not apply to the tools we use; a chisel too heavy to lift, for instance? :-)

DaveB
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Buying used or reconditioned is a great way to save bucks. I've bought 2 used bandsaws (Rigid and Craftsman), a used thickness sander (Performax), 4" belt sander, 12" disk sander, and air compressor come to mind......likely more. Bought my table saw and drill press (both Delta) new several years back. Would prefer to buy used to save bucks. Did have one used 4" belt sander bite the dust soon after purchasing so it's not a perfect solution. 50% - 60% cost savings, no taxes, and no shipping (usually) are what make purchasing used appealing. Patience is the costly part of it.
Slacker......
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Since we are off topic anyway I feel that I should point out that most of us were "Made in America" from imported parts. I know I was and I can say that I am cheap, my quality is questionable and my performance is spotty at best. I expect as much from anything I buy. Having low expectations is AWESOME!!!
Kevin Sjostrand

Tony,
Well said......and probably a fitting end to the thread at this point.
at least in my humble opinion.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I think it is worth pursuing, Kevin, so maybe I will pick up on it in the 'anything else' forum where it belongs..
Dave B
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

A good point is that any tool can do damage . Treat every power tool with the respect it deserves . While price is not indicative of quality , safety is your responsibility . Tools that are designed to cut wood will cut fingers , toes and anything else it comes in contact with .
I think it may be a good idea to have a safety thread . Things can happen so fast . If one persons close call can save a fellow member I am all for that . I will start the thread and I hope we all participate
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Nope, not Ford,
Anyone else want to give it a shot?

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand