Router question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Tarhead

Re: Router question

Post by Tarhead »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: I do plan on obtaining some better quality tools, but the hobby has to support the hobby.
Kevin
I'm puzzled by this. Is it really a hobby if it needs to support/justify itself? Sounds like it's a profession to me. Good tools used for a hobby don't justify themselves based on cash flow. They justify themselves in the joy and satisfaction they bring when you use them and the reliability/smoothness/safety/precision they offer. Good tools used for a profession are an investment like John said. Like a good truck, good shop, good employees, etc. Sure, I have HF one time use tools (3 jaw pullers, pipe nipple extractors, 2 inch socket, etc) and tools too simple to screw up (plastic dead blow hammers, chalk line, plumb bobs, tarps, etc) but I also have a budget and save for a bargain in a used quality tool when I find it.

$82 for a decent router http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditi ... 14&sr=8-14 is not that much in the grand scheme of things. It's less than your Emergency Room Insurance deductable, a decent guitar top and much less than a decent back/side set when the HF collet eventually fails and the bit spins out through your hand or the height adjustment slips when you're halfway around your binding channel and you ruin the top/side/back.
Bosch factory reconditioned tools are much better quality-wise than new and the only ones I will buy. Their quality control is much more strict. This palm router will do 100% of the routing/trimming needed for Luthery and 90% of anything needed for general woodworking. It's taken the place of my old DW621 router and a PC Laminate trimmer for handheld routing in my cabinet business work.

Life's too short to use sorry tools.
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Tarhead wrote:
Kevin Sjostrand wrote: I do plan on obtaining some better quality tools, but the hobby has to support the hobby.
Kevin
I'm puzzled by this. Is it really a hobby if it needs to support/justify itself? Sounds like it's a profession to me. Good tools used for a hobby don't justify themselves based on cash flow. They justify themselves in the joy and satisfaction they bring when you use them and the reliability/smoothness/safety/precision they offer. Good tools used for a profession are an investment like John said. Like a good truck, good shop, good employees, etc. Sure, I have HF one time use tools (3 jaw pullers, pipe nipple extractors, 2 inch socket, etc) and tools too simple to screw up (plastic dead blow hammers, chalk line, plumb bobs, tarps, etc) but I also have a budget and save for a bargain in a used quality tool when I find it.

$82 for a decent router http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditi ... 14&sr=8-14 is not that much in the grand scheme of things. It's less than your Emergency Room Insurance deductable, a decent guitar top and much less than a decent back/side set when the HF collet eventually fails and the bit spins out through your hand or the height adjustment slips when you're halfway around your binding channel and you ruin the top/side/back.
Bosch factory reconditioned tools are much better quality-wise than new and the only ones I will buy. Their quality control is much more strict. This palm router will do 100% of the routing/trimming needed for Luthery and 90% of anything needed for general woodworking. It's taken the place of my old DW621 router and a PC Laminate trimmer for handheld routing in my cabinet business work.

Life's too short to use sorry tools.
Bosch reconditioned are better quality than Bosch new?
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Tarhead,
The puzzle is only in your head. Do what works for you.
I am having pretty good success doing what works for me, and that is what counts in the end.
I promise you that the moment it appears that the collet on my HF trim router will not hold a bit securely, I will throw it in the trash, and go to HF and purchase another one. :>)
Now carry on class!

Kevin
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

msanch24 wrote: Bosch reconditioned are better quality than Bosch new?
Yes. The remaufacturing takes place at Bosch in New Bern, NC. All tools are more rigorously tested than at the Chinese assembly plant and any parts which are replaceable (motor brushes, switches, collets for instance) are replaced and burned in. Any flaws are minor appearance only. They will stand by their warranty.
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Tarhead wrote:
msanch24 wrote: Bosch reconditioned are better quality than Bosch new?
Yes. The remaufacturing takes place at Bosch in New Bern, NC. All tools are more rigorously tested than at the Chinese assembly plant and any parts which are replaceable (motor brushes, switches, collets for instance) are replaced and burned in. Any flaws are minor appearance only. They will stand by their warranty.
Good info! Thanks, man.

-matt
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Here's guys talking about slipping bases, slipping collects -- death and distruction -- not Harbor Freight routers but rather the Bosch Colt!!

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/show ... hp?t=44130

Truth is I can find articles trashing just about anything made by man or God -- There is no need for us to understand why another person does or believes in one thing or another -- that's just our egos working.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

In my early days I did buy some reconditioned PC 7310. They were about 1/2 price and are still working . There isn't anything wrong with used tools also . You can find great deals if you look . I have some very good chisels that I found at local flea markets , often paying lest than a $1. My favorite is a Marples , they often are big dollar tools . I think it is the hunt that makes tool finding fun .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ken,
so true, so true.
Thanks for stating!

Kevin
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

kencierp wrote:Here's guys talking about slipping bases, slipping collects -- death and distruction -- not Harbor Freight routers but rather the Bosch Colt!!

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/show ... hp?t=44130

Truth is I can find articles trashing just about anything made by man or God -- There is no need for us to understand why another person does or believes in one thing or another -- that's just our egos working.
Ken thanks for that. Of course there can be problems with any machine. I have used the snot out of mine in the shop and outside (even accidententally dropped it (running!) off of an 12ft ladder flush trimming facia on a roof when I got stung by a wasp) and have had no issues. Bosch had a much more serious issue with the spindle lock mechinism for tightening the collet on the Colt during the first 2 or so years of production. That was dealt with.

The great thing is that we have forums (fora?) to communicate about this and can learn about options and how to improve what we do and how to do it. Sometimes cheaper is not the best option for the long term and sometimes it's good enough for limited use. Your work around for the slipping problem is a great example. The problem with cheap, disposable tools goes deeper with me and I'll leave the political, social and economics rant in my "puzzled" head and say only this: If we're not careful, cheap will be our only option soon.

Mark
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

"If we're not careful, cheap will be our only option soon"

Well said, Mark. But that ship may already have sailed.

DaveB