Router question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
msanch24

Router question

Post by msanch24 »

Hey all,

I'm about to start my first kit and i want to go ahead and get a good router to do the binding and such. What do you guys suggest? I want a good quality one with all the features i could possibly need to do many future builds.

thanks,
matt
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Router question

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

There are lots of choices, but Harbor Freight has a laminate trimmer for about $20 that should do the job nicely. You dont need a plunge router or anything large like that. Its too heavy. I have a Ryobi laminate trimmer that works well, but I wish the cord came off the body differently. It comes out with a 90 degree angle piece of harder rubber and it sometimes gets the cord in my way. If it came out straight up, that would be better. Its my only complaint.
So, you want something light, but powerful, that you can control easily since control is what you will need when doing the channels.
Dont spend a bunch of money either. Mine was about $75 or so, and I should have gotten the Harbor Freight unit for $20.
I have a dremel, but I would say its underpowered for binding channels. Never used it for them, its just my feeling from routing rosette channels with it.
Thats my 2 cents. Hopefully you will get more opinions to help muddy the waters and make your choice harder!
Tony
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

haha thanks for the info. So its actually easier to use a lighter laminate trimmer? And there arent any other times while building the guitar that i would need a router for?

I just dont wanna end up buying a laminate trimmer just to find out that i need a router also afterall.

-matt
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

I had already decided to go with that attachment! but i was more looking for a good idea of an actual router that would be a good investment.

-matt
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I've built 5 now and do not own a router. It would depend of course on what level of service you get on your kit and whether there are some major customizing things you want to do that must use a router.

Someone else will chime in I'm sure :-)
DaveB
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

deadedith wrote:I've built 5 now and do not own a router. It would depend of course on what level of service you get on your kit and whether there are some major customizing things you want to do that must use a router.

Someone else will chime in I'm sure :-)
DaveB
ohhhh so the KMG tool isnt just a router attachment? It has everything i need to do channels?

-matt
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Right-o PLUS it doubles as a trimmer to trim the top and sides flush with the body. It has other uses as well which you discover as you go along.
DaveB
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

deadedith wrote:Right-o PLUS it doubles as a trimmer to trim the top and sides flush with the body. It has other uses as well which you discover as you go along.
DaveB
Awesome! thanks so much. I'll definitely be in contact with KWG. If anyone else has (arguably) better systems, let me know!

-matt
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I have a nice Bosch router but I bought a laminate trimmer as it is a much handier size for this type work. The laminate trimmers seem to have plenty of power.

I bought a Porter Cable 310 and it works great. I've read good reports about the Bosch Colt and the Rigid router. The 310 Porter Cable has been discontinued and replaced with the 7310 and I've read it works fairly well too (I think John Hall uses this router). I've never used the Harbor Freight router that can be had for cheap. Not sure how easy it is to adjust the depth of cut (what I like about the PC 310). I've read that on some of them the shaft has play/runout.........but you can take it back if you are dissatisfied. I read where one guy will buy 5 at a time (while they are on sale) looking for one where the bearings are right......then return the other 4.

I used a laminate trimmer for cutting a ledge in the linings/sides for the top/back braces, binding/purfling channels, cutting the recess for the tail wedge, and I built a jig over the weekend that uses my trim router to cut the slot in the brdge for the saddle.
Slacker......
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Darryl Young wrote:I have a nice Bosch router but I bought a laminate trimmer as it is a much handier size for this type work. The laminate trimmers seem to have plenty of power.

I bought a Porter Cable 310 and it works great. I've read good reports about the Bosch Colt and the Rigid router. The 310 Porter Cable has been discontinued and replaced with the 7310 and I've read it works fairly well too (I think John Hall uses this router). I've never used the Harbor Freight router that can be had for cheap. Not sure how easy it is to adjust the depth of cut (what I like about the PC 310). I've read that on some of them the shaft has play/runout.........but you can take it back if you are dissatisfied. I read where one guy will buy 5 at a time (while they are on sale) looking for one where the bearings are right......then return the other 4.

I used a laminate trimmer for cutting a ledge in the linings/sides for the top/back braces, binding/purfling channels, cutting the recess for the tail wedge, and I built a jig over the weekend that uses my trim router to cut the slot in the brdge for the saddle.
Very good info here, thank you. I am sort of leaning towards getting a nice router that will last me, and just buying the KWG binding attachment to do fool proof binding channels.

-matt