Hollow bending form questions

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
nkwak

Hollow bending form questions

Post by nkwak »

I'm making a hollow bending form with two 3/4" plywood outlines and 9 six inch wide sections of hollow steel pipe. What's the best method to put them all together?
~ Neil
carld05

Re: Hollow bending form questions

Post by carld05 »

Neil,
I’ve used steel pipe on only one of several forms. You will need a drill bit the same size as the outside diameter of the pipe, preferably one that will cut a straight, clean outside wall of the holes like a forstner, brad point or even a spade bit with the outside points. Screw the ply forms together. Mark the hole positions be real careful to get the outside edge of the pipe flush with the outside of the form. I didn’t get that right in a couple of places, so all the dread sides I bent had a bump in the same place. You’ll need a drill press cause a handheld drill can’t be held exactly square to the forms, at least I can’t. Drill, Tap together and Bob's your Uncle....
You really don’t need to use pipe unless you’re using light bulbs in your bender. The other forms I’ve made I’ve used 1X2s or closet pole pieces (preferred) screwed between the forms. That way I could sand the outside edge if they protruded a bit. The sides need that support to bend flat.
Have fun and stay safe.