Modifying a Fox side bender for ukulele sides

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Modifying a Fox side bender for ukulele sides

Post by Stray Feathers »

With help (as usual) from smart people here, I have built a modification to the Fox guitar side bender I just finished, with the hope/intention of using it to bend ukulele sides as well (which I don't expect to do very often). I built a riser or plinth to lift the ukulele form high enough so the cauls would be able to grab the form. I can use the same end cauls, and made a new waist caul to fit the ukulele waist. I'm hoping to use the 6x34 inch heating blanket and slats bought from John Hall (still unwrapped as you might notice). The riser is designed so I can keep the uke sides short at the lower bout end, and let the excess hang over at the upper bout end. The vertical members of the riser extend down so as to prevent the riser from shifting - the lower bout end has a horizontal extension. I considered fastening the form to the riser but realized I will want to be able to remove the form easily when the sides are bent, so I cut a slot in the form for the 1/2 inch aluminum bar I'm using. I had to fit additional springs and anchors to suit the smaller form. In the photo with the bending package in place, I am using a piece of scrap side-thickness material to fill the void at the end of the blanket, to avoid overheating the blanket there. (The clamps are temporary - I may use clothes pins to hold the dummy side piece in position). My first experience with a bender like this was using a friend's to bend some walnut bindings, and they shattered, so my confidence still needs a boost. So I am going to try bending two sets of cherry uke sides before I do a nice set of figured walnut guitar sides. I'll report back when I've given it a try. Thanks again for advice along the way - Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Re: Modifying a Fox side bender for ukulele sides

Post by Stray Feathers »

Instalment Two, for additional images - BW.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

That is nice
thanks for posting
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Nice work!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

A quick note to say that this modification worked well today as I bent sides for two tenor ukuleles. I kept the sides short on the lower bout end, and left the slats and blanket long on the upper bout side, with some scrap side material to fill the void at that end so the blanket did not overheat there. The lower springs are for guitars, using the same end cauls. It would probably be a bit fiddly for smaller ukes. But it works on tenors and will see me through my current crop of grandkids. Note slats, blanket, controller, thermometer and how-to from Blues Creek Guitars - much obliged, John! Tomorrow I test it on sides for an OM guitar. Bruce W.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

glad to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com