Ultimate tool

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Ultimate tool

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

One might say that your bench is your most important tool, but maybe it's your shop. This guy has a TON of ideas for a tiny shop - indeed, any shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtRWwvGHeY

A very worthwhile 16 minutes

Ed
Ed M
jread

Re: Ultimate tool

Post by jread »

Saturday morning tiny shop reset time. thanks! I'm pressing play while think about reducing entropy in my setup.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Great vid, the guy had to take a serious amount of time making all that didn't happen overnight. Maybe his hobby is his shop not the things he makes with it.
I'm beginning to think that's what mine is becoming, I spend a lot of time thinking about different additions/layouts and how to make it easier to do things, could be more than actually making things. I need more space than his shop a lot more, been planning to add a 12'x 16' bump out to house all the large power tools and more important a REAL dust collection/control system. Some of the dust from the woods used in guitar building I think are starting to get to me, don't want this to become something making me have to give it up. The covid19 thing has put a damper on the project but hopefully just a delay.

PS, thanks for posting the vid, a lot of good ideas for the future.
ruby@magpage.com

I especially like his idea of the rack on the wall that hold boxes containing everything a tool needs - a set of chisels, a router with fences and bits, a palm sander with pads and paper, etc

Ed
Ed M
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Maybe the secret is to approach things with a British accent :-)

Great video, tons of great ideas with some Wallace & Gromit overtones...two thumbs up!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

All I can say is you've got to be kidding. If I had to work in a space like that, I'd get a job at 7-11.--Bob
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

my spray booth is larger but you have to admit that the man made the most of the area he had
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

i always revered those old guys w/ perfect shops, a peg w/ a magic marker outline around every tool, hand made dovetail drawers all over the place, perfect everything. i always thought I had to do all that if i was going to do anything right. I think the comments above are accurate. Those guys build their shops, not stuff in their shops. They probably also pump out quality woodworking projects but my revelation is that I can maybe do that w/o a pristine shop and plastic tubs for my organizers instead of Teak hand polished tool drawers.
ruby@magpage.com

I was 3/4 way through a Redwood and Maple 00 12 fret with a Stauffer neck when MLW said we needed built-in bunk beds for when the grandkids could come back to visit. Finished yesterday and went down to look at my bench (28" X 84") at is full of drywall tools, various screws, cut-offs, router, hammers, screwdrivers, sanding blocks, paint brushes, and a zillion other things that leave zero free space. I have more on my bench than not. So This morning is put-it-away time, then back to the Stauffer.
I have to say, I enjoy being able to do this - just stack stuff up on all the flat surfaces, then clean it all off. The poor guy ion the video hasn;t got that luxury, even for 10 minutes.
Ed
My shop tour - 'nuff said
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Ed- Looks to me like you still have lots of extra space on that bench. There are days when I'd be thrilled to have that much free space!--Bob