FastTrack MK2 Sharpening System

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
phavriluk

Re: FastTrack MK2 Sharpening System

Post by phavriluk »

Diane, just ordered one from the vendor you linked to. A bunch of chisels and planes, and in mid-project. Will get tested immediately.

Thanks for speaking up.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote:Diane, just ordered one from the vendor you linked to. A bunch of chisels and planes, and in mid-project. Will get tested immediately.

Thanks for speaking up.
I hope you like it Peter. Just remember to go very lightly or you'll knock the diamonds off of the plate. I made that mistake when I first used it. Now I know to barely touch the blade to the diamond hone.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I will sell a brand new one (deluxe model) for $100.00. Or best offer! Works great! Email me at sylvan@wellsguitars.com. SOLD!
Last edited by sylvan on Tue May 26, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

JLT wrote:A question for Diane:

Have you tried the MK2 on smaller blades like carving blades, or gouges with a curve? How does it work with them?
It's not going to sharpen a gouge or anything curved. The blade needs to be long enough to reach the hones. So micro chisels like my Dockyard dogleg chisels won't work on it. I'll measure minimum length for you. If you have angled blades, you'd have to be very careful to hold and maintain the angle while honing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Well, there's varying definitions of 'immediately', but yesterday I did use it on a 1/2" chisel to test tool performance and owner performance. Owner got the job done, eventually. But the tool - - - that flexible sliding clamp that is used to keep the chisel (in this case) square to the sharpener bed doesn't hold the chisel in place at all. All the clamping force, what little there is, is at the rear of the clamp and the clamp can't oppose side force at the sharpening end, the pinch bolt is inches away from the force.

Suggestions?
peter havriluk