Bench vice FTW

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
jread

Bench vice FTW

Post by jread »

Finally a successful attempt at making a guitar vice that I can trust. My 1st attempt to make one out pipe clamps (Bill Cory book) didn't seem stable and was a pain to attach.

Been wanting a cabinetmakers vice on this bench and found one for $75 then made the additional parts. I trust it not to ruin my top/back finish while I push on the sides. I still support it by holding the dovetail slot or sound hole but but prob can squeeze it a bit tighter if I wanted to. I don't think this will crack the guitar easily.

Here's my quarantine bunker which looks surprisingly like my everyday bunker. Hope you are all well. My shop kitty, Wiki says hello (or maybe she just wants food.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Bench vice FTW

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Looks great, and easy to convert to/from. Do you find it holds the body so you can't move it even if you try?

Ed
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

Thanks Ed, I can get into hold the body very firmly but not in the configuration pictured above. With the foam, I set it up to protect the finish and it will slide around a little.

But, I can take out the foam and squeeze it in from the edges and have the padded plywood grab the arch of the body without a whole lot of pressure but grab some. I see the arch depress a slight bit so I usually just snug it in so it won't depress. The main grab is at the edge and it stays put. Doesn't seem to work so well when turned sideways because of the wedge shape of the guitar and I'm considering ways to angle the vice plates better. I can also use this vice to hold things firmly on the bench. I've been using this for about 3 weeks and it really has changed everything. Now I can't imagine how I scraped the sides before and doing the front and back is far more efficient. Just having the body hold still increases the effectiveness and quality of everything because you can trust leveraging against it and use tools in a consistent, steady pattern.

John

ps. yes, this guitar is a little out of shape in the bouts. There's why I upgraded to a Blues Creek form. The next one came out nice with a more shapely cutaway as well. Will post that down the line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Here is something you could add. I have a twin screw vice on the end of my bench that I installed to work on Windsor chair seats. I put in 2 pieces of 1/4" (flexible) plywood covered in old bath towel for padding as jaws, and added two 3/4" X 3/4" vertical piece 15" apart on each jaw. When I put an instrument in, I put the two vertical pieces right at the guitar sides, or as close as I can get them if the guitar is bigger or smaller. The vice clamps down on the guitar sides (the rim) and the 1/4" ply flexes around the dome of the back or top. I can clamp it absolutely rigidly - I can't make it move. I put a short piece of pipe insulation on the screws for padding. I can spin the guitar, and when I lay it on its side, one end rests on a piece of pipe insulation and the tail is clamped between the verticals. Easy to add to your existing jaws
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Ed- I'm not familiar with the twin screw vise. Does that clamp with only one handle or 2 and does it clamp out of square shapes? Source? Thanks, Bob
ruby@magpage.com

Bob

This one is from Lee Valley

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... screw-vise

I made mine 22" clear between the screws - it is variable. There are other versions of this vice, but I liked that this one has a chain connecting the two screws so I use it with one handle. It can be adjusted for uneven clamping, but I have never done that. There is a very expensive version out there (Benchcraft?) that is even quick release.

I use this one as a tail vice with 2 rows of dog holes for holding almost anything. I have a couple of different jigs that fit in it like this guitar vice

Ed

The picture is from when it was new and the floor was clean 12-13 years ago
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

Thanks Ed. Just the kind of reply I was hoping for w/ ideas for improving it. Man yours is a sweet bench. I always wanted to build one like that but my I like old sheet metal bench that came w/ the house and it is solid as a rock. Lyon brand from Aurora Il. I see vintage assorted parts, stools, drawers. etc for it online but haven't picked up anything except for now this new vice.
ruby@magpage.com

j

This bench is the best tool I have - easily the most-used. Should have built it long ago. But as long as you are rigid, at the right height, and you can clamp things to yours, you are good to go

Ed
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Ed-Thanks for the info. Good luck with everything.-Bob
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Ed, How much clearance do you need for the screw mechanism under the bench between the end of the bench the leg.-Bob