Rod option for Go-bar deck

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Morecowbell

Rod option for Go-bar deck

Post by Morecowbell »

Just a quick one FWIW. I just started using my go-bar deck and am using spring-loaded curtain rods for the rods. You know the ones, twist them one way they get shorter, the other way they get longer. Available at Menards or Amazon for around $2.40 ea. More expensive than fiberglass or wood but I figure the adjustability will reduce the number I need. The ones I got go from 18-28" or something like that. The adjustment is fast and easy, they have nice rubber feet, the pressure is good and in a straight line. Having never used fiberglass or wood rods I can't compare, but so far I'm liking this approach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
BEJ

Re: Rod option for Go-bar deck

Post by BEJ »

Great example of WTH didn't I think of that!!! One of the best things about the Net, one can't think of everything but someone else will come up with something for you.
Just bought some FG rods but a few of these would make a useful addition, I like to pin down the top with the X brace after it's in and glue set up, maybe one of these rods will keep it locked down better as you add the other braces, sometimes the added pressure causes the X brace rod to flex and loosen. Did glue a pair of 2x3s to stiffen up the go bar top, seemed to help.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

I'm not the first one to think of it, and Bob Gleason has an article on his site about making spring-loaded rods - that's what made me realize it wasn't a crazy idea. To me it just seems an easier way to manage the clamping and the varying lengths you have to deal with, but it is a little more expensive.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I was first introduced to spring loaded bars when I took a building class from Jose Romanillos in Spain in 2007. He had made some. I just kind of brushed it off until years later when I saw some that another builder had made. I decided to make some and was immediately sold on the idea after trying them. I just made some more. I like them a lot compared to sticks and fiberglass rods. Just after I finished making the new batch of bars I was told about these curtain rods. I have a hard time visualizing that they will work, but I ordered a few from Amazon. Cost is about the same as the ones I make, so if they work it would be a no brainer. We'll see.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I received my spring loaded curtain rods from Amazon. Had to check them out. Thy are on their way back to Amazon. Nuff' said.-Bob
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

Bob Gleason wrote:I received my spring loaded curtain rods from Amazon. Had to check them out. Thy are on their way back to Amazon. Nuff' said.-Bob
Oh I don't think so. I would like to hear more abut this comparison and possibly get some details on how you made yours. I really hate the sticks.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

The curtain rods just did not work for me. The ones I got collapsed easily and just were flaky. The ones I made don't cost much, but they do take some time to make. Here is a link http://www.pegasusguitars.com/making-go-bars.html -Bob
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

Bob Gleason wrote:The curtain rods just did not work for me. The ones I got collapsed easily and just were flaky. The ones I made don't cost much, but they do take some time to make. Here is a link http://www.pegasusguitars.com/making-go-bars.html -Bob
Thank you Bob
Red Dogg

Post by Red Dogg »

Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post because it just happened to be the 1st thread I opened.

Has anyone tried using metal insulation stays? In case you don't know what they are...they're metal, spring steel wires with somewhat sharp points on both ends and are used to wedge between two floor joists to hold up fiberglass batt insulation.

I'm just getting ready to build my 1st kit guitar and had devised, in my mind, a way to build a go-bar using these.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use the fiberglass rods for fishing wire through walls. You can get 33' rods from HF for $9.49. I cut them to size and add rubber feet, or put a glob of silicone on the end
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com