Safe-T Planer

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Safe-T Planer

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I just sold mine to another member of the forum. They work well, if you take the time to set them up right. I've since bought a benchtop planer and drum sander, so my saf-t planer sat unused.

It's interesting that this thread appeared. I had forgotten I even owned one until a couple of weeks ago, when I ran across it in the shop. Lol.

It was handy to have before I owned the other machinery, well worth the money.

One WARNING:

My husband used it to plane off a 1/16" thick piece of padauk that I had glued to ebony. I didn't realize he was doing it until it was too late. Padauk, along with some other woods, like rosewood, are lung irritants.

My husband ended up with CHEMICAL PNEUMONIA, caused by the dust and smoke from the padauk, while using the saf-t planer.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HEED MY WARNING!
Be careful what you're inhaling! Some of these woods have a lot of resin. I don't like wearing masks, but sometimes it's necessary. Wear a dust mask! They're cheap.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

Well, I've had a chance to play with the Safe-T Planer now, and I have a few comments to add.

First, it isn't as efficient as I'd hoped it would be with planing sides, tops and backs. It seems to do well enough for spruce, but EI rosewood is more of a challenge. I ended up using my old technique of taping the pieces to a carrier board and running them through a regular planer, then finishing with hand planing.

Second, I'm not getting the consistency in thickness that I'd expected. Part of the problem, I suspect, is that there's a bit of up-and-down play in the chuck of the drill press I'm using (a Ryobi bench model I bought used some time ago) and that may be throwing off the ability of the planer to create a consistent thickness. I do have another bench drill press without that problem, but it doesn't have the depth (chuck to pillar) that the first one does, so I won't be able to use it on the wider pieces like backs and tops.

So I'm once again looking for a thickness sander, either used or home-built; I've seen plans on the internet for ones like Pat Hawley's, and it doesn't look too hard to make. If anybody on the forum has advice for me on this, I'm listening.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I got mine off of craigslist, a performax 16-32. Search a broad area, maybe several and if you find one, don't hesitate to call about it. They go fast. I saw one locally about a month ago and it was gone in a day.

Good Luck!
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I bought a good used Delta 18-36, about $400 (CAD) which was a lot of money for an older beginner luthier, but I have thanked myself every time I have used it since. It's one of the best lutherie investments I made. And I can also return some favours to other builders who have helped me in many ways, by doing a little sanding for them. And I further justify it by knowing my kids (or someone) can sell it again when I am gone.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

they do work but they are limited in their abilities . They must be used as the instruction say and the direction of feed is critical . Use only with a fence you can't free cut with them
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

JLT wrote:So I'm once again looking for a thickness sander, either used or home-built; I've seen plans on the internet for ones like Pat Hawley's, and it doesn't look too hard to make. If anybody on the forum has advice for me on this, I'm listening.
I built mine. There’s a thread in the Building Tools subforum (I think) with some pics, etc.
Glad to answer any questions.