Inlay Tools for VERY small details

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Inlay Tools for VERY small details

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I think it is John hisself that uses a blunt punch to hold the inlay piece in place while he scribes around it with an Exacto #11 blade, then chalk. This avoids gluing down the piece.

I use a 12 penny nail with the very tip ground flat with success. You have to press hard and concentrate, but it is a big time saver - also I have broken a couple of pieces getting them loose of the glue.

I can't imagine that a pencil line would be easier to work to than a knife slice with chalk in it.

Ed
Ed M
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I posted a comment here but it has not appeared, so apologies if it is duplicated. Lee Valley has a decent selection of tools for inlay, including some that look like some that Diane mentioned, but Lee Valley branded. Worth a look. Here is one set: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... ving-tools Bruce
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

My process is simple I use a .3mm pencil. I took a small screwdriver and a nail . They have a point and are basically a scribe to hold the piece. then the pencil marks the line. This is the process I showed Diane when she was here. The tricky part of this is to master the layout .
Once you can make the marks your ready to go.

other methods I have seen are scribe the piece and used chalk to delineate the line
I have seen spray shellac method.

so don't be afraid to experiment to see what will work for you.
once you know where the line is you know where to cut
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've got medical issues, so holding the pieces while tracing them doesn't work for me too much anymore.

I use DUCO CEMENT to hold the pieces until I can trace them. I put a drop in a cup, then I apply a teeny tiny amount with a toothpick. It's only enough to keep the piece in place, and it's very easy to remove. I can just remove it by hand. If there's a problem I slide a razor blade behind the piece.

You should only use enough of the cement to barely hold a piece. I've never broken a piece of inlay using Duco.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com