Moisture Meter?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Morecowbell

Moisture Meter?

Post by Morecowbell »

I searched this and didn't find anything so wanted to ask - does anyone use a moisture meter? Ran into something tonight where it seemed like it would be useful, but there is dizzying array of options out there. Over the years I've worked with wood dripping wet and bone dry, but have never been able to measure moisture content. This lack of knowledge bit me a little in the past so in my mind it would be nice to have a handle on it, but maybe with guitars the wood is so thin that it's not necessary info? Thanks as usual!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Skarsaune

Re: Moisture Meter?

Post by Skarsaune »

I’ve got an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight.
I use a chainsaw mill to make live edge slabs and lumber that I build furniture, etc from, so I wanted something to check with. The 1 year per inch of thickness works pretty well. I’m building a solar kiln to accelerate the drying process next and will use the moisture meter with that. Thing is, it’s checking moisture at the surface, which on a 4” thick piece is not going to be the same at the center. Wood thickness in the range that’s useful for guitar work might be more relevant.
tippie53

Re: Moisture Meter?

Post by tippie53 »

they can be helpful
I store wood for about a year before I use it and control the environment
you would want the wood under 8%
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com