My "Dormek" Sharpening System

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Rag Thumb

Re: My "Dormek" Sharpening System

Post by Rag Thumb »

What angle do folks use for a secondary bevel?

Also: I'm not sure it is of the quality of strop that is being talked about here, but I have a leather stropping belt I purchased that goes on my 1" belt sander that seems to do a pretty nice job. You can see yourself in the reflection on the blade. The sander is a cheapie I got at a woodworking store for about $100 and the strop came from the same place (Woodcraft). Their part number is X000UYVV55.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
------------

Rex
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Woodcraft is my favorite local haunt. It's a dangerous place for me to visit.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Rag

Primary and secondary bevel depends on what work you are doing. When I attack a big chunk of Osage Orange or Jatoba I want a 30° secondary, so anything bigger than that for a primary. This makes the edge last a little longer. For cabinet work, 30/25 seems about right. I was doing 25/20 for awhile for chisels that do not get hit - just hand work - but a little easier easier to do a 30/25and it works fine. And donlt be concerned if you are a couple of degrees off.

Ed
Ed M
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

Thanks Ed!
------------

Rex
JLT

Post by JLT »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:ers, etc., when I ran across the Wen 2900 sharpening system. It's not made anymore. But, I found a new old stock, still sealed in it's box, and picked it up for $35.
wen-wet-stone-sharpener-model-2900_1_30c50ae35c9861af014e0981a3437d7c.jpg
Wen also made something called a "Wet Wheel" which is what I use. Again, they're not made anymore, but you can see them at used tool places for around $30 or so. I've made an extended bed so I can support the chisels and plane irons more accurately.