Anyone tried this for binding?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
mike789166

Anyone tried this for binding?

Post by mike789166 »

I just received my new Bosch router and this base came with it. Anyone tried it for binding. It is quite solid but there is not a great distance between the bearings to keep the router vertical. The router seems to be excellent quality. It is single speed so I may use it with the controller I made for my heat blanket.

tippie53

Re: Anyone tried this for binding?

Post by tippie53 »

This will work but here are the pitfalls . You have to stay 100% on tangent with the bearing . Otherwise you channel will vary . Also you won't get a good result with the flat base , you need something to help hold you square and at depth to the back radius .
You can make it work but be cautious and aware of what the geometry of the body is doing to the relationship of the cutter to the parallel of the sides.
Keep us posted .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I am fairly certain there has been many guitars screwed up with a rig similar to that -- beware --- here's why and the short comings

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/un ... nnels.html
darren

Post by darren »

Ken and John have good points.

possible.. yes.

you'll need a different 'wedge' for the back upper bout. guide the base, not the router, keep things vertical. be very careful!

This might work for a few guitars but you will want to graduate to something else after that. I do. :)
Darren
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I tried every binding jig out there . I settled on 2 , Tom Ribbeke's design and Fleishman. Both hold the router perpendicular to the table . They also have an adjustable carriage to keep the body in proper position . Anything that requires human hands to maintain position is doomed to failure
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

And another approach - I was a complete woodworking newbie when I got my first kit from KMG, and I read with fear and trepidation the trials of those who were early into their binding skills.
I used the KMG binding attachment - the laminate trimmer and the table - and kid you not - it was the easiest part of the entire project! I recommend it highly.
DaveB

Ack! Tony beat me to it. But mine is more succinct! :-)
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I too have tried all the common channel routing binding tools. That's what inspired me to design the two KMG channeling devices (hand held and table model). They can be seen at the KMG website --- the KISS principle was employed -- The designs allow you to cut off what needs to be cut and at the same time prevents the operator from taking off material that is not supposed to be touched. Logical for sure, but not the case with the other routing gadgets. Oh -- and I believe both tools are very cost effective.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

The 'table' was part of the fixture from KMG.
And just for fun, I bound a double mobius strip. No doubt a wedge is much more demanding, but one does what one can :-)
DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike789166

Post by mike789166 »

Well, I usedit and it turned out ok. I reduced the speed of the router quite a bit as 33000 seemed a bit much. Here are a couple of pics

I am using CA for the pore filling. Thanks for all your replies. I will try and make a binding machine when I get some time as it takes a lot of variables out of the equation.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I had used CA on a number of builds and stopped. You may see adhesion problems as the CA is very hard and finished don't grab well to it. Just a thought for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc