Scraper plane advice?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Morecowbell

Scraper plane advice?

Post by Morecowbell »

I've used hand-held scrapers but have never used a scraper plane. Was watching some videos and they look very effective, especially on figured woods. Any thoughts? I've been looking at the spokes shave type (Stanley 80) but would be interested in comments on the plane configuration as well.

Thanks!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Scraper plane advice?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I have used the Stanley #12 family successfully - 12, 12-1/4, 12-1/2 ( and I have a 12-3/4 that I have never used). This is the type with the handle across the body and they are fairly easy to use once you get past the short learning curve. I have a 112, which is the one with plane tote, and this one is much harder to master - I haven't yet. But my favorite is the 80. VERY easy to use, and the least expensive of the group. A friend of mine has taken a couple of solid brass oval drawer knobs and screwed them on where the blade holding bar is and that seems to add enough weight to make a small difference, but as is, the 80 is an easy-to-use and effective tool.

I find the hand-held scraper is good for almost everything on a guitar. The only thing the 80 would be helpful for in guitar making is the top, back after gluing the plates, and sides before bending.

Ed
Ed M
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks Ed - it looks like the Stanley 80 is the one to learn on, one to keep an eye out for.
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
allenjeremy

Post by allenjeremy »

Look up the Hammler insert for the stanley/bailey pattern plans, it recently went back into production by a place called loon lake toolworks.

It basically replaces the frog, iron, and lever cap and makes a very nice scraper plane out of any old donor plane.
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

One of the most used tools in my shop. Take the time to get the feel of it, it doesn't take long.
Added bonus: you won't burn your thumbs, lol.

Brent
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

The Hammler insert is really interesting - just wish it wasn't $185! Had an issue with the set screw on my #80 but good now, learned way too much about early Stanley threads. So after the holiday honey-do list I may get to sharpen it...will report back in April....
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

Check Lee Valley Tools. Similar product $42.50.

Brent