Sharpening method/system - what do you like?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Sharpening method/system - what do you like?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

carld05 wrote:I've got a grizzly 10" (tormack knockoff). It's sitting in a large metal cookie sheet to keep the water splash off the workbench and make it easy to turn around to take advantage of the different wheel rotation directions. I then go to a sheet of plate glass (free at a local glass place) for scary sharp finish dressing.
I've seen the Grizzly. They make nice tools. Thank you.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Well, I think Ed explained my approach to sharpening - I was a Windsor chair maker!! Lol!!

Really fun to learn about the different approaches. I've not had great success with sleds but its probably due to lack of experience. The Scary Sharp (tm) method is intriguing and will probably get a test run before I explore a new stone. Like John I got used to moving fast in the shop so the hollow bevel on a water stone was a quick and easy way to get a good edge, but I'm looking forward to exploring some new ideas!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I haven't tried it yet, but I got a variety pack of 3M lapping film on eBay. Spray with water and lay on the glass. I've heard it sticks good and is easy to peal off for another grit. I have tried several honing jigs, right now a Veritas. Pricey, but works great.
jread

Post by jread »

Worth posting here that I took Diane's well researched advice and invested in the Alisam sled. I can use it with my old beat up water stones and also the two new DMT dia-sharp (x-coarse, coarse and (fine, x-fine). Woo boy. Night and day difference in my edges. I would spent a good 30 minutes on a blade before and the edge was barely workable and that's after many years of "experience." With the Alisam, I re-beveled every blade in the shop in a couple of hours and touching up only takes a few seconds.

I also got a nice, personal note from Tim Queeno, the owner of the small, family business and inventor of the sled. I highly recommend this fine, quality product. My planes are pleasure to work with now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.