My bridge saddle slot jig.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

My bridge saddle slot jig.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thought I would share with you my simple jig and set up for cutting the saddle slot in my bridges.
Maybe it will give you guys some ideas if you want to start making your own. It is pretty easy.
I have made 4 so far and they all have turned out good. The bridge sits in the jig, and I superglue a couple of small blocks to the jig to hold it in tight. These are easily popped off afterward. The bridge sits in the jig at the angle I want to cut the slot, setting the compensation. The jig clamps up square in the cross vise. I cut about an 1/8" at a time, so 4 passes with the end mill does it.
Anyway, here is a few shots.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Re: My bridge saddle slot jig.

Post by deadedith »

I like it! Thanks
DaveB
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thats cool. I could also think of a few other things I could do with an end mill, while making jigs.

Thanks for the idea.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The greatest thing is I already had the cross vise and 1/8" end mill bit for my knife making. I just leave this thing clamped to this drill press and it is ready all the time.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

What size cross vice do you have?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

johnnparchem wrote:What size cross vice do you have?
And where do you get one?

Tim B
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Please heed my warning . These things have way too much slop in them. You will have to rework and shim the Gibbs to get them to do anything . This is a case of buying too low a quality of a tool that isn't intended for the purpose you are buying it for.
Keep and eye out for an X Y table . you will be better off. Grizzly has a better cross vise than that one linked .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I think John's comments refer to the sliding vise at the e-bay link (not Kevin's vise).

I like the idea of using a sliding vise if I could find a good one one at a decent price.

Kevin, it doesn't appear you angle the slot back toward the rear of the guitar. I've been thinking of ideas for a bridge making jig but I think I want the saddle angled back a 5 - 7 degrees. It takes some of the pressure off the front of the bridge so it's less likely to crack and puts more pressure on the bottom of the slot ......where it seems the pressure should be supplied. Another good reason is the compensation will decrease as you lower the saddle so plays in tune.

Any thoughts you would like to share on a slot that is angled back instead of perpendicular?
Last edited by Darryl Young on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Darryl Young wrote:I think John's comments refer to the sliding vise at the e-bay link (not Kevin's vise).

I like the idea of using a sliding vise if I could find a good one one at a decent price.

Kevin, it doesn't appear you angle the slot back toward the rear of the guitar. I've been thinking of ideas for a bridge making tool but I think I want the saddle angled back a 5 - 7 degrees. It takes some of the pressure off the front of the bridge so it's less likely to crack. Another good reason is the compensation decreases as you lower the saddle.

Any thoughts you would like to share on a slot that is angled back instead of perpendicular?
Looks to me like he has it angled. The front support is wedge shaped which probably give the proper back angle.
Tim Benware