My bridge saddle slot jig.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Ben-Had

Re: My bridge saddle slot jig.

Post by Ben-Had »

tippie53 wrote:Please heed my warning . These things have way too much slop in them. You will have to rework and shim the Gibbs to get them to do anything . This is a case of buying too low a quality of a tool that isn't intended for the purpose you are buying it for.
Keep and eye out for an X Y table . you will be better off. Grizzly has a better cross vise than that one linked .
Thanks John. Got looking after i posted and saw some. Those xy tables are costly. A couple reviews I read said the ShopFox (Grizzly) needed the gibs shimmed as well. Probably some do some don't at that price.
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well shoot, I just posted a long reply and it went to loo loo land I guess.
I will summarize.
I think it is a 5" vise. I purchased it about 20 years ago for around $50, it is a medium quality vise. I has served me well in my knifemaking needs. It is more than accurate for doing this job of slotting the bridge.

The same thing can be done without the cross vise by sliding your jig against a stop back and forth under the end mill, but the vise makes it more secure, accurate, and easier.

The slot is angled for compensation, however it is not tilted back, it is 90 degrees to the bridge. I have never heard of slanting the saddle back. Anyone else?

I guess there are many ways to go about putting a slot in, but this is a simple repeatable system, cost me nothing to set up since I had the vise, and it makes a nice straight, clean flat bottomed slot.

Kevin
grouper

Post by grouper »

What kind of a bit do you use in the drill to slot the blank?
Kevin Sjostrand

John,
It is a square bottom end mill, 1/8". They cost about $10 and on wood will last forever. I get mine from a knife making supply, but I'm pretty sure you can get one from LMI and maybe StewMac.
It cuts a really clean slot in hardwoods.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

bqtool.com is a good source for these bits. High quality industrial tooling.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I have a similar cross sled, but I can't hold the depth of my drill press, there's no lock on it. It's a craftsman from 25-30 years ago. I have to figure out how I can do that, and I could slot mine with the exact same setup. Nice job!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Ken,
Alas, my drill press does not have a lock either. I just bring it down and hold it. It may seem unprecise, but I have been able to hold it quite steady and maintain a flat bottom to the slot.....checking it on both ends and in the middle with a depth gauge. Give it a try, and you may also have satisfactory results. You could also just raise the table for each pass, but you will have to reposition the bit in the slot, also doable.
Let me know if you try it.

Kevin
mike789166

Post by mike789166 »

Could you try and put a clamp or jubilee clip around the shaft so you didn't have to hold it? It is a good idea though and I may try it when I find a suitable bit.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

If the bottom of the slot is not dead flat you will have some weak strings . This is a critical point for energy exchange from the strings to the top. You can make it work but you need to keep this point in mind .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com