Heel and volute carving

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Heel and volute carving

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote:When I posted the Pfeil drawknife, I knew I would get flack because of the price. I have 2 other vintage drawknives, but the Pfeil is exceptional to work with. As with all hand tool work, whatever works for you, works for you. Happy carving.
Bob, I have a couple of Pfeil chisels. Pfeil makes excellent tools. I go with what feels good in my hands, as well as quality. I'm going to take a look at the Pfeil draw knife.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

No Phlack for the Phfiel Bob - we all have tools we really enjoy using. I bought my daughter an L-N 103 small block plane for her shop even though I had perhaps 6 of the originals on the shelf down there because she had used one and really liked the weight of it.

My good friend Bill is a hand tool user -almost exclusively, and a bit more than me. We both use router planes quite a bit and he got tired of the Stanley 71's backlash in the depth adjuster. So he bought one of the Lee Valley router planes and uses it almost every time.

It is all measured in fun packets - so how many fun packets does your drawknife give you? I was just mentioning options.

Ed
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Ed- The only problem with a really good working hand tool is not being able to use it enough. I get very little joy out of putting wood through my planer, and a lot of joy out of using my good hand planes. And, brand or cost does not always mean best. Have a couple of Lie Lielsen planes that are really good. However, when I bought their jointer plane at a ridiculous price, I quickly sold it and went back to my old Bailey with a Hock blade. It's a better plane IMO. Good wood is where you find it and same goes for tools.
padma

Post by padma »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:.... at $83 that's a very expensive way to do it. My vintage C E Jennings was $10 at a garage sale,

Ed

Ya is nice blessings when we finds good tools at cheap prices. Is true some of us walk and the other less fortunate gotta drive Caddies and BMWs and Mercedes and and and well me say "if it gets the pig clean ~ use it." Phfiel be A1 real gooder stuff and a pig is a pig...the trick here is two parts 1) knowing how to use it and 2) how to sharpen the sucker.

Thus spake duh Padma
~blessings.