StewMac Fret Erasers

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

StewMac Fret Erasers

Post by Bob Gleason »

StewMac sells sets of what they call fret erasers. Over priced as usual .Another tool you could easily live without. I bought a set of these early on, but found them hard to use. Too small for my hands. A while back I decided to try them again. I came up with the idea of adding a handle to make them easier to hold. I just stuck some rounded over wood handles on with really sticky double stick carpet tape. It never comes loose. Now I use them on every fret job. I really like them now. They are not very aggressive, so you can't take any deep scratches out of frets, but they put a nice finishing touch on a fret job. After leveling the frets, I do the typical rounding fret file and sandpaper techniques up to about 1200-1500 grit. I used to go much higher, but the erasers seem to do a good job at 1200. At that point I switch to the 200 grit eraser and go up through the grits. It goes very fast. When the frets start to shine, you can really see any file marks you missed. That maybe the most useful attribute of the eraser. They point out your failings!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: StewMac Fret Erasers

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have these fret erasers and I like them. You're right; they can be hard to hold. Thanks for the tip.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

look at machinist supply houses for soft abrasives
same thin much cheaper
https://www.esslinger.com/garryflex-abr ... gJNX_D_BwE
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

Thanks so much, John. Just what I needed.

Brent