Stewmac guitar repair vise?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ChuckBarnett

Stewmac guitar repair vise?

Post by ChuckBarnett »

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... _Vise.html

Does anybody have one of these? Does anybody have something similar? Is this a good deal and something I should add to my toolbox?

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating tomorrow.
LCGuitars

Re: Stewmac guitar repair vise?

Post by LCGuitars »

I have one and love it. The jaws rotate so you can clamp tapered objects like necks. You can find them listed as pattern maker vises and pick them up for about $20-30 less on amazon and Wood Craft.

Bob
Last edited by LCGuitars on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Those are great vises. Found in repair and building shops everywhere. Used to have 2 of them, but there was a short window where Stew-Mac sold a better one and I switched. Don't know why they discontinued the ones I have, except maybe because of the price. They were $400.00 and I doubt if they sold many. I bought 2. I would not hesitate to buy the vice you're looking at again. In fact I miss it sometimes. I'd say go for it if you can afford it. Hopefully you have the Stew Max free shipping. Maybe it will be on their Black Friday Sale list. Enjoy the Holiday!--Bob
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I use mine multiple times everyday that I am in the shop. It is like a third hand for me.
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

Yup. Great vice. I got mine from Lee Valley.

Brent
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You might want to check Harbor Freight. They have a couple of articulating vises that are useful.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Have one, it's an awesome beast of a vise. The angle vise is awesome as well. Might as well get the shop stand too. Consider the StewMax deal for free shipping for a year, based on your shipping charge. ON SALE TOO

Happy Thanksgiving.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes -- excellent vise. I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035Y9FYU/re ... ax_0?psc=1
which is also good, but the StewMac design may be better for some aspects of guitar work. (Solution: one of each! I'm tempted.)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Randy

Post by Randy »

Hi Chuck it’s Randy get that price that you had at the top up there what a little twisty handle on the top that’s the one you want for building guitars you’ll never regret it she’s a sweet one all right I think John would agree to
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have an alternative. It's a poor man's vise, but it gets the job done. It doesn't twist, but it holds the box or neck nicely, for pulling the neck for resets, routing the neck block mortise for the dovetail, etc. I've clamped neck blanks flat into the table, just allowing them to protrude where they needed to be planed. I planed them flat, using the tabke as my guide. It has a myriad of different uses.

This table is meant to sit on a workbench. I made a frame to sit it on. It will tilt.

It's a worktable made by Black and Decker called a Workmate. I think there is another version that has a ball joint so whatever is clamped, can be positioned as needed.

I bought mine for $35 on Ebay. They go for a bit more now, I think around $50-60. They aren't fancy, and the Stewmac vise is definitely a very nice vise made for guitars. But I won't part with my Workmate. I have the 79-020, but there are many versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com