Digital calipers

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Digital calipers

Post by Bob Gleason »

Anyone ever found a digital caliper whose battery does not die between uses? I know I could use mechanical ones, but I like the easy to read digital ones.I've probably thrown away more than a half dozen of them, another one today, because the batteries bleed constantly. Thanks, Bob
phavriluk

Re: Digital calipers

Post by phavriluk »

Depends mostly on whether there's an automatic shutdown after a dormant period. That's saved me more times than I can count. Otherwise I've got to remember to turn it off. And I keep a whole bunch of spare batteries nearby.
peter havriluk
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I just take the battery out after every use. Even shut down, batteries don't seem to last when kept inside.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks why I like the analog so use to them from my machinist days
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Digital calipers offer easy conversions between metric, English, and fractional scales. I have both mechanical and electronic calipers. Never can have too many ways to measure stuff.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I used nothing but digital calipers when I used to cut opal rough into cabochons. If I knew I wasn't going to use it for at least a week or more, I took the batteries out and stored them separately. It only takes a minute to put a battery back in it to use it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

We can go to the moon, but can't get a caliper to shut off! Most everything else digital, calculators, etc., shuts off automatically with no issue. I was hoping there was a better answer. Thanks for the replies.--Bob
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've not used digital calipers, but I've encountered other electronic devices that drain the battery even when they are allegedly "off." The only solution, if one has a device like that, is to take out the battery. It's a nuisance and I'd call it poor circuit design...but it happens.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Mine have all had shut-off feature and batteries usually outlast the caliper in my shop. I love the digital version as I always second guess myself reading lines and arrows. It seems very accurate if you don't drop it. :)
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Mine have all had shut-off feature and batteries
Same here. I'm far more likely to misplace the calipers than to encounter a dead battery. I've been using the cheapie digital calipers that are occasionally on sale at Harbor Freight.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop