useful inexpensive router

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
phavriluk

useful inexpensive router

Post by phavriluk »

I had a HF trim router in inventory and didn't know what to do with it, its bearing runout spooked me away from 'serious' uses.

But I found what to me is a wonderful timesaver: I dedicated a flush-cutting router bit with a bottom bearing to the router and I use it when I trim overhangs from the soundboard and back. Router and bit cost less than thirty bucks and I spend zero time setting up the router for the job, it stays set up. The runout isn't noticeable and I get nicely trimmed overhangs very quickly.

There's times where good enough is just fine.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Re: useful inexpensive router

Post by tippie53 »

best luck to you I had one that threw the bit and destroyed a set of Brazilian wish you better luck
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

John, that's a nightmare of a story. Thanks for the heads-up.
peter havriluk
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Peter that is a great idea with inexpensive tools. Just to say, I routed the binding channels on my first 6 guitars with a harbor freight trim router....never had an issue and I bought two more of them (on failed at the collet). I know have a Porter Cable and a Dewalt, but the HF's are for back up.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Another inexpensive tool: chisels. We can go broke buying them and their sharpening stones. I got lucky last year when I bought a set of chisels at Aldi. Eight bucks for the set of four, and they sharpen nicely and hold a decent edge. But that's possible only when someone's lucky enough to be visiting Aldi when the chisels are there, I suspect for nothing longer than a few days, and otherwise wait till sometime next year.

And we all know about block planes....
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I have a ton of vintage chisels and block planes I will sell at reasonable prices - these are 2 tools that seem to be everywhere.

Ed
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I think the Rigid Home Depot trim routers are worth the extra $. Only issue I have had is needing new brushes occasionally. I think they still come with a flush trim bit.