block plane

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

block plane

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Here is a low angle block plane patterned after the Stanley 60-12 that is on one-day-only sale. I have not seen or handled this plane, so I don;t know anything about it, but it is a pretty simple thing to cast, so not a lot can go wrong

https://www.garrettwade.com/low-angle-c ... plane.html

You can still get a good vintage tool for less, but many like to have new tools. Google ebay low angle block plane and there are bunches of them. There is a nice Keen Kutter made by Stanley (all the nickel tells me it is a copy of Stanley 60), a nice Craftsman made by Stanley, a couple of Sargents. and a couple of 65's which are the same as a 60-1/2 except for a wider, 2" cutter. The 65's also had the enviable knuckle joint cap for a time. I use a 65 as a smoother with good success.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: block plane

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks like a pretty good plane. I have seen these before and considered buying after owning a Lee Nielsen at twice the price, but I really prefer the old planes.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's a very nice looking plane. If I didn't already own a low angle block that I love, I think I'd snatch it up.

I need a low angle smoothing plane, which is a bit of a zebra. A Jack is too big and my block is too small. Like Goldie locks, the smoothing plane is just right. The only ones I've found are the Lie Nielsen and Veritas.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Diane how would the Stanley Jr. Jack work for you? It is the one that is the width of a #3, but shorter than a #5. The #5 1/4 model.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin, the Junior is the perfect size, but I need a low angle.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Oh I see, well I guess I can't help you there then.
What choices in a low angle do you have?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

The Stanley 65 block is a 2" blade version of the narrower 60-1/2. Bear in mind that when you grind the blade on a low-angle block to give you a 50° angle of cut, then it is the same as a York pitch in a conventional bench plane designed for gnarly woods. You can bet that same angle in a regular blcok plane by sharpening at 30°.

I find it is more what the piece of wood in front of you needs than a formula

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:The Stanley 65 block is a 2" blade version of the narrower 60-1/2. Bear in mind that when you grind the blade on a low-angle block to give you a 50° angle of cut, then it is the same as a York pitch in a conventional bench plane designed for gnarly woods. You can bet that same angle in a regular blcok plane by sharpening at 30°.

I find it is more what the piece of wood in front of you needs than a formula

Ed
I know. I've honed the iron in the jack and smoothing planes that I have right now to 30°. The bed angle of the Veritas low angle smoothing plane is 12°, so the effective angle with the iron honed at 25°, is 37°. But what helps too is the bevel up design of a low angle plane.

It's just user preference. I like the feel and workability of a low angle plane. I need one that's around 9-10" long.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Diane, how about you make yourself a wood low angle plane. Its really not that difficult, and you can use an iron from a #5 or a block plane, or what have you.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Diane, how about you make yourself a wood low angle plane. Its really not that difficult, and you can use an iron from a #5 or a block plane, or what have you.
That's an idea Kevin. I may look into doing that. I put 2 planes on Ebay which have sold, so they're paying for the Veritas, but I've wondered about building a plane. I may do just that.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars