Flush Trim Router Bit for Dremel

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
jabbiati

Flush Trim Router Bit for Dremel

Post by jabbiati »

Hey all,

Been scouring the internet for weeks looking for a flush trim router bit that would fit in my Dremel 4000. I want to use it trim off the excess from my top/back down flush to my rims (I don't want to use binding). I really don't want to buy a laminate trimmer just for this one job. I finally found a place that carries one with an 1/8" shank. Figured I pass on the info in case someone else was in search of one. I'll let you know how it works in my project blog post.

https://ballewsaw.com/amana-mr0105-carb ... aring.html

--Jim
"Not all who wander are lost..."
tippie53

Re: Flush Trim Router Bit for Dremel

Post by tippie53 »

that should work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I had the same question as OP. I also had a NIB Harbor Freight laminate trimmer and a flush cutting router bit. I'd rejected using the HF router after I chucked a drill bit into it and watched the runout. Nothing ventured (aka didn't spend any money), nothing gained, I installed the flush cutting bit into the HF router and tested it. Worked plenty good enough. Now it's a dedicated tool, that bit stays on the router and does its trimming job very acceptably. Plenty cheap enough.

I have a bunch of Dremels and I regard none of them suitable for routing much of anything. Weak motors and lousy bearings and the chucks are so sloppy as to make any tool mounted in them a blur to watch. The HF tool, criticized as it deserves, works better for that job than any Dremel I own. And to use the Dremel as a router, I'd need to buy a router base attachment for the Dremel motor, as well as a router bit usable only in the Dremel. My HF solution cost way less than a Dremel solution, for me.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If it is to trim the plates around the rims and you need to do it and don't have the tool, a sharp chisel works great starting at the widest point of each bout and working downhill from there - never uphill. Takes a few minutes a plate, then you can use a half-round file to get it exact if you are that type of craftsman.

Ed
Half the people you meet will be below average
Ed M
jabbiati

Post by jabbiati »

This is all new to me...trying to get through one build without buying a special tool/jig/part for each specific step in the process. I figured I'd get the most bang for the buck with a Dremel, router base, a couple of inlay bits, and a flush trim bit (now that I finally found one with a 1/8 shaft). Time will tell!
"Not all who wander are lost..."
yellowesty

Post by yellowesty »

Depending on how you create your binding channels, an alternative to using a Dremel to trim the top and back can be to set your binding channel cutter for binding whose height is the thickness of the top/back and whose thickness is zero. I use a reproduction of Ken Cierpilowski's binding channel cutter both to trim the top/back and to cut the binding channels. It works well.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Sty

How often do you have to change the bit with all that use? I use the original of that tool, and for binding channels where I want a really nice cut, I find I am getting about 3-4 instruments out of it.

Ed
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

For those needing to work with finite resources, the pair of a Dremel and a router base costs more than a real trim router, any of which already has a base. I found that setting-up and breaking-down tools quite often takes more time than doing what I set the tool up to do, hence my leaving the flush cutting bit on the $25.00 HF router. For example a Grizzly trim router costs, depending on sales, in the region of fifty dollars. Used routers are readily available on That Auction Site, further reducing their initial cost. I found a trim router adequate for all the router work my guitar building asked of it, so worst to worst, one tool will do a lot of jobs, setup and knockdown times notwithstanding.
peter havriluk