Rim Sanding Fixture video or plans

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Rag Thumb

Rim Sanding Fixture video or plans

Post by Rag Thumb »

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure I have seen someone on the forum that there is either a video or plans to build a simple fixture to "drive the bus", but I have looked for two days and I am just not finding it. Can someone please point me to it?

I have purchased radius discs from John but I don't want to go start buying other materials to make the fixture else I make myself into one of those things that tends to happen when I "assume".

Thanks
------------

Rex
robinsonb5

Re: Rim Sanding Fixture video or plans

Post by robinsonb5 »

Rag Thumb wrote:I'm sure I have seen someone on the forum that there is either a video or plans to build a simple fixture to "drive the bus", but I have looked for two days and I am just not finding it. Can someone please point me to it?
I don't know whether it's been posted here, but Susan Gardener posted something on YouTube recently on that subject - maybe that's what you're thinking of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVirypB_38

(Part 2 was uploaded yesterday.)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

This is a simple fixture to make
In my video I use a 3/4 in plumbers flange and a 6 inch nipple. These are pretty beefy and hold up well to the twisting. I also used a 3/4 in thick piece of particle board.

First thing I did was make a line corner to corner and mounted the flange and nipple.
Second I centered the mold using the line and made it center fore and aft on the line
I then drilled through the mold into the board using a 1/2 in drill bit on my drill press

any other mold gets centered and I drill in through the back.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've done what John said, but I drilled holes through the wood holding the nipple, and the mold, directly into one of my work benches. When I'm not radiusing, I use the holes to hold my chisels while I'm using them. That way my chisels don't "walk away" while I'm working.

I use carriage bolts to secure the mold and nipple.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I knew it was simple but just wanted to double check some of the particulars. For instance, I was thinking of using a 1" pipe. I know it probably doesn't make any difference what size that is but, hey, why not do it the way the experts do?

Again, thanks!
------------

Rex
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the 3/4 in plumbers flange is 1 in outside diameter
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com