Random orbital sander

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ChuckBarnett

Random orbital sander

Post by ChuckBarnett »

So I am at the sanding the body stage of my first project. Some folks recommend a random orbital sander. One more tool that I need on my journey. :-)
I see that there are variable speed and non variable speed. The Makita bo5031K and the bo5030k are well recommended. The variable speed range goes from 4000 to 12000 RPMs. Any thoughts on the need for variable speed? Perhaps you could use the lower speeds for buffing, Etc? I know nothing about buffing or finishing generally and I am planning on doing French polish at first. I welcome your insights. :-)
tippie53

Re: Random orbital sander

Post by tippie53 »

I don't use mine for polishing or buffing buy the Milwaukee I have has varible speed and I use and like it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I don't use mine for polishing or buffing buy the Milwaukee I have has varible speed and I use and like it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Look at the thread just below this one - RO Sander. Fine Woodworking did a comparison of about 15 of them and found that they all left an acceptable finish, but there is a cheap one that surprised them

I have had the same dewalt for 15 years. Doesn't get a ton of use, but works fine

Ed
Ed M
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I use a 5" Bosch RO with variable speed. After years of using regular orbital sanders on furniture it was a great change. For wood prep before finish I use Mirka Abranet 80-120-220 with the sander hooked to dust collection system. I also use it for final finish sanding and buffing... Abranet 400 thru 1000, then Micromesh 5" pads, 1500 thru 12000 (hand sand tight areas by hand with the Micromesh 3"x4" sheets), then buff with HF foam pads cut down to 5" diameter with mirror glaze compounds....SHINY!

Carl
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Carl,If I understand you right, you are using Abranet to level your finish. Is that lacquer? Can you detail a bit how that goes? Any things to watch out for? Thanks, Bob
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Yes, Cardinal nitro...11 coats including the sealer. 2-3 weeks drying time B4 sanding. Dropfill B4 sanding. Next time I think I'll DF after 3-4 coats.
Abranet dry with dust collection. Micromesh, wet sand.

I'm doing this on some bodies now, here's a pic....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.