Go bar deck

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Talladam

Go bar deck

Post by Talladam »

I cobbled up my go bar deck this weekend. Nothing fancy. I used plywood scraps from work, and 1/2" threaded rod from the Big Box store. I doubled up the plywood after reading a few stories of other decks flexing a lot under pressure from many bars. I added a bit of perf board (?) after reading a cool blog by a guy who suggested it to keep the bars from shifting on the top deck. For bars I have been picking up fibreglass driveway markers for awhile. Every once in awhile I pick up a few when I'm at HD. The threaded rod was cut to 36" and I cut the markers long enough to pin down the back or soundboard with the rims sitting on a radius dish. Something I didn't expect was the need for two lengths of bar necessary because of the taper of the sides. I can thread the hardware down to clamp the bracing to my plates.
go bar deck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Go bar deck

Post by tippie53 »

that should do the job
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Looks good. I inherited my go-bar deck from a friend who moved on to a Life Beyond Lutherie (to carving birds) and as I worked on my two first builds I realized the top was bowing. I will need it for #3 soon, and plan to put some diagonal stringers across the top to stiffen it. I really like the idea of the pegboard; a while back I bought some fibreglas go-bars on sale from Timeless Instruments in Saskatoon, but they are rectangular in section. Maybe if I round off one end of them the pegboard will have some purchase.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I cobbled mine together from 4 pcs of wood that were on sale for $1.25, for each board, and scraps that we had laying around. I cut my rods from a set of Harbor freight 33' fiberglass electrical wire pulling rods, which cost $10. I had a carpet remnant, so I put that on the inside top, to keep the bars from slipping. I found rubber feet for the rods on eBay for a couple of bucks.

I may have $20 invested. Lol
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I cobbled mine together from 4 pcs of wood that were on sale for $1.25, for each board, and scraps that we had laying around. I cut my rods from a set of Harbor freight 33' fiberglass electrical wire pulling rods, which cost $10. I had a carpet remnant, so I put that on the inside top, to keep the bars from slipping. I found rubber feet for the rods on eBay for a couple of bucks.

I may have $20 invested. Lol
This is exactly why I need to take a stroll through Harbor Freight before committing to buying any more tools – because it may be both cheaper and faster to make my own tools from what I find there.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John- I've always used oak for the bars. Cut in rectangular profile they are very directional and cheap. How are the fiberglas rods that you sell on directional pressure? Being round, do they tend to change direction? Thanks, Bb
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I used wood but I find wood is ok for a few times but I use mine a lot and found the fiberglass rods are very consistent in pressure.
here are a few techniques I use .
I can use it to flatten back cracks and repair and when spanning braces I like to use a bridge caul for more control
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com