1/3 scale Veritas low-angle block plane

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MaineGeezer

1/3 scale Veritas low-angle block plane

Post by MaineGeezer »

Diane told me about this. In the Maine vernacular, "Ain't that a cunnin' little thing!"

It's a real working plane. The blade adjustment knob works. The blade is A2 steel. Out of the box it was sharp enough to take a clean shaving off some red oak. Unlike other tiny planes, this one is fairly comfortable to hold, and at $42 it's about half the price of, say, Ibex planes. Of course, this is not the same style of plane as the Ibex planes, which can be had with curved soles, etc. This is a block plane, albeit a small one.

I hope it will be useful for planing installed braces.

Lee Valley Tools sells it. (Usual disclaimers, etc.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kbore

Re: 1/3 scale Veritas low-angle block plane

Post by Kbore »

In the Oklahoma vernacular " well lets git us some!"
Wonder how I missed that one?
Thanks for sharing, Looks like a " must have" for MY shop. : )
Is it a regular stocked item?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've been looking for a really small plane with a fully adjustable iron for a very long time. I was getting ready to order an Ibex, when i hit upon this one. It even has a low angle!

Veritas makes miniatures of their block, bench, router, shoulder, plow, and edge planes. They also make a miniature spokeshave, cabinet scrapers, and chisels. All are working tools and are regular stock items.

As a tested and certified tool freak, I simply had to order one. I'm sure I'll end up with a couple of these sweet tools. The prices are in Canadian dollars. It cost me $49, delivered to WV.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 82&p=70138
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It landed and it's a keeper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Free shipping till January 8th with $40 order, so I had to order the mini chisels to qualify-rats.
Thanks for posting.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:Free shipping till January 8th with $40 order, so I had to order the mini chisels to qualify-rats.
Thanks for posting.
I don't blame you. I want to order the bench plane too. They're just too cool to pass up. I'm a sucker for tools, especially planes. I'm also a sucker for working miniatures. Combine miniature working planes and I'll probably end up with each one.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I've had my eyes on those mini planes ever since they first put them out, but the more practical side of me has resisted. I do see how that little block plane might work for brace planing though, and they are all cute as the dickens too!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:I've had my eyes on those mini planes ever since they first put them out, but the more practical side of me has resisted. I do see how that little block plane might work for brace planing though, and they are all cute as the dickens too!
I've always been practical about my tools too. Sometimes you just gotta say the heck with practicality.

But, I was ready to buy the Ibex, which I think is way overpriced, so I was doubly thrilled to find the little block plane.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Just ordered the Veritas minature block plane. I had the ibex in my cart and found Mainegeezer and Diane's write-up. Thank you Mainegeezer and Diane.

Price is still pretty good. 48.00 with tax and still free shipping.

Can't wait to start shaping my braces.
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

You can never have too many specialty planes! I do have it, but it is a strange little thing that I rarely use.I prefer my brass Ibex style planes, both larger and smaller, for brace shaving. Looks cool though!-Bob