Used guitar building tool?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Used guitar building tool?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

"I strongly suspect StewMac has somebody whose job it is to dream up new gadgets that they try to convince luthiers they can't live without. I suppose at least some of them might be useful, but you don't NEED them to build a guitar."

His name is Dan Erlewine, and he is one of the repair gurus. He is a true tool lover and he throws every idea against the wall to see what will stick. He lives a short way from his shop, and a short way from the S-M R+D department where he makes and tries out new tools. He is a friend to everyone and remembers everyone's name. He has helped virtually every current repair guy in some way, and if not, he has learned from them. He is a great friend of my daughter's and I have traded correspondence with him a number of times about tool ideas and our respective grandchildren. He is truly one of the good guys - and on top of that he used to be Iggy Pop's bass player.

If you have an idea for a tool, or an idea to improve one of the S-M tools, just let him know and he will consider it and even give credit.

Ed

Here's Dan in my daughter's shop, sitting on one of my stools made for playing on, playing a Nick Lucas copy I made for her:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

That is quite a photo, and a beautiful guitar.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Kbore wrote:That is quite a photo, and a beautiful guitar.
I'll second that...on both accounts.
ruby@magpage.com

Dan expressed interest in having me make one of the stools for him, but we have never closed the deal.

Scroll through these shots to see the stool:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 213899421/

Ed
Ed M
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Coolest stool ever. Guess you turned the spindles? Very very nice.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
ruby@magpage.com

The legs were turned. The spindles were done with drawknife, spokeshave, and chair devil (round scraper).

Ed
Ed M
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Where are you located? I have quite a few extra and duplicate lutherie tools as I bought out another luthier several years ago. I do not wish to ship. Pick up is in Ormond Beach, FL.
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com