Blues Creek Fleishman Binding Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Blues Creek Fleishman Binding Jig

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I ruinined a back while trying to use an vertical binding jig. There was nothing wrong with the jig. I'm used to holding the router in my hand. Moving the guitar around a stationary router, simply didn't give me the feedback that I'm used to getting. I couldn't see or feel when I was making a shallow purfling cut, so I pushed a little too hard and the bearing jumped over the edge and into the top.

I sold the vertical jig, and bought the Blues Creek Fleishman Binding Jig. What a difference! I can see the bit plus feel the cuts. I practiced a little to get used to it, then did the binding and purfling channels on 3 guitars perfectly.

If you're on the fence about buying a vertical vs. Fleishman Binding Jig, IMO, there's no comparison. Go with the Fleishman.

Thank you John.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Blues Creek Fleishman Binding Jig

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Forgot the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I'll second that. The Fleishman style binding jig John sells works great. It does take up a bit of room though, and you need to plan for that. I have a floor drill press, so I mount mine on my drill press table, using carriage bolts through the table slots which allows for easy elevation of the binding jig since I do different types of instruments. The binding jig has a wide range of elevation built in, but I still find there is a sweet spot that I like it to sit at in relation to the height of ledge I'm cutting.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

And I'll do thirds. I learned at John's shop and then got my own set up which I store between projects and use my bench as the temporary table for the jig.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have mine temporarily clamped to a table too. I store it on a shelf in the shop.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars