Bending binding

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Bending binding

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've had trouble bending binding with the bending iron. The spring steel that I had was too long to control.

I made a jig (I guess that's the right term), to hold the binding on both sides. I have the one pictured, which is one stewmac bending strap, cut in half. The 2 halves are held together with a wingnut and bolt. I also have another set, which is 12" long, but half the width at 2" wide.

I can bend 4 pieces of binding at once. It makes it much easier to hold them level and straight. I simply loosen the wingnut to move the jig down to the next bend.

This is curly maple. I didn't use any water. After bending, I clamped them into the mold. There are no breaks or bends from the curl.

I take the screws out and use the shortened bending strap to bend sides. It's much easier for me to control a 12" strap, than the 24".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: Bending binding

Post by tippie53 »

great solution
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Nice! I like the handles -- very practical.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Actually, I think it's a fixture, not a jig, but EVERYBODY gets the terminology wrong including me so don't worry about it. I think it's like this:

Using machinist definitions, a fixture is some sot of workholdng device. A jig is used to locate holes for drilling. For example, you might have a fixture designed to hold a guitar bridge on your drill press table so you can clamp a drilling jig to it to properly locate the six bridge pin holes.

...at least, I think that is correct.

That's what a metalworkiing machinist would say. Woodworking may use different definitions of the terms, of which I am totally unaware.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Thanks for sharing that, I think it will be VERY helpful.
Measure Twice,

Karl B