Inspection camera

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ChuckBarnett

Inspection camera

Post by ChuckBarnett »

I see you some inexpensive inspection cameras available say at Harbor Freight Tools. Any thoughts on quality over price? Thank you, all! :-)
Danl8

Re: Inspection camera

Post by Danl8 »

I got one a year or two ago. Not in color but it works all the same. Be sure to protect the sound hole rim.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Last Friday I took my HF color inspection camera out of its packing and set to using it to inspect bracing in a guitar. Very blurry image. Not much good for anything. Cleaned all contacts, etc., no joy. Called HF tech support. After waiting a half-hour listening to elevator music the HF person said to clean the camera contacts. If that doesn't help, the unit is done for. No parts for something that 'old'. So five years old, obsolete, unmaintainable.

I'll be replacing the HF camera with a PC accessory camera. Inexpensive, and I have a little travelling PC 'netbook' that's not much good for general use. I'll have a 9-inch screen, big as life, so to speak. For thirty bucks for the add-on.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think Peter has the right idea. I've shopped HF frequently, for years. I've learned that you either get something that works for years, or you get total junk. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. I didn't even know they had tech support. They never carry parts.

You can't beat their clamps. But, i would get a camera accessory for my pc. I don't know about you guys, but i don't get rid of my old laptops when I upgrade. As a result, I have 3 laptops, 2 netbooks, and 4 Samsung Note phones (fortunately I never upgraded to the fire hazard note).

Getting a peripheral camera, and dedicating an old laptop is a great idea.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Great tips from all of you. I will stay away from the Harbor Freight camera. There are the things for the same money or less that are probably pretty good. Thank you!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think at one point I tried using a PC USB camera to look inside a guitar. My recollection is that it wouldn't focus close enough. You may have better luck.

I would be inclined to look at the Ridgid 40043 Micro CA-25 for about a hundred bucks, maybe less. I've always found Ridgid tools to be pretty good. Whether that same quality standard carries over to low-priced electronic stuff I don't know.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

What a coincidence, I got this via email. It's a $20 borescope for android and windows PC.

https://valuegearonline.com/products/en ... 0631859843

I would have bought one if I had android OS.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Cool! I have an android phone. Thanks.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

just went looking
Ebay and Amazon have USB cameras for as little as $20 They do come in handy
jh
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

camera update
the one I got I am very surprised at the quality. They came in a few different configurations and for under $20 I can't complain. I can see inside the guitar better than with a mirror.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com