Homemade Go Bar deck question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
nkwak

Homemade Go Bar deck question

Post by nkwak »

In anticipation of the impending drop in RH in my basement I went and built a homemade go bar deck/work table. I used four 2' square by 3/4" thick MDF boards and glued them so that I have 1.5" thick top and bottom platforms. Instead of using threaded rods I decided to use 1/2" x 2' steel pipe with 1/2" collars all around just to make it sturdy. I don't know when I'll get to use it as a go bar deck but at least it's a pretty convenient workspace that my 4 year-old son could use while I tinker at the workbench. It also makes a nice storage shelf and inspired me to organize my clutter a little! ;o)

Yesterday my 4yo son and I were at the local Lowe's looking through the garden section when I noticed some wooden tree support sticks. Well, I'd seen that some builders use wooden rods instead of the nylon ones so I decided to investigate. Upon closer inspection I saw that they were rough-cut to about an inch square by about 6' in length - and a few were actually quartersawn too. So I picked up four of them with the intent of cutting them into sections and using any scrap for practice on carving braces with my chisels.

So my question is this. How long should a go-bar be for a deck that's 2' in height? Is a perfect 2' long enough or am I going to have lots of scrap to whittle with?
~ Neil
Woody OKeefe

Re: Homemade Go Bar deck question

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Hi Neil,
Some of us build an adjustable gobar deck for use at different heights. But answer your question. I found that the pressure exerted by the rod no matter the amount of deflection or bend in the rod is always the same. Now I'm using fiberglass rods but with wood it could change. I try for about 1/2 or 1" deflection. If you have 24" deck you could cut to 23.5" and see what the deflection is and go from there. I like the adjustable because I can make the corners different heights.
Good Luck
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, Woody. I'll just cut the bars in thirds then and trim them until I find a height that works for me then.

BTW, I weighed the option of having an adjustable deck but decided that I'd rather have it sturdy so that I could also use the top platform as a work table. My basement is pretty cramped so I'm trying to be a little more efficient with my space. It also makes for a nice storage unit that fits under my work bench.
~ Neil
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

There are a lot of ways to do things in this craft/hobby. I sure you'll find something that works.
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

I took a different approach to the go bar deck. I built a very solid shelf, and utilize the underside of the shelf as the go bar (I have a very small shop, where space is a premium). This way I have storage above. I use 3 ft go bars. When I want to join a back to top, I made a platform, and use 2 ft go bars.
P1090055.jpg
P1060759.jpg
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I just wanted to post an update. I built the go-bar deck last month and finally put it to use today. Conditions were pretty good, even if the 3 hygrometer harpies couldn't agree:

Instead of nylon bars, I chose to use some 1/4" x1/2" pine firring strips from Home Depot. I cut a few 24" lengths which looked like this when placed in the deck.

Yeah, the nylon bars on my friend's go-bar deck make me nervous and my soundboard is riddled with divots from the bars slipping off. This way, things seem to work like they're supposed to.

Since space is at a premium I wanted it to serve several purposes. I put it on a dolly and it makes for a nice little work table/storage cart that fits underneath my workbench:

~ Neil
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Neil, that's an excellent use of your shop space - innovative too. Thanks for sharing.
sbrown4292

Post by sbrown4292 »

I am about to make a go bar deck and someone suggested using adjustable curtain rods in lieu of fiberglass or wood. Apparently this method has been used with good success. The bars are inexpensive, adjustable, stable and avoid skating. I'll let you know.
Steve B.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Some people do use spring loaded rods instead of using bending force.

Neil,

Looking at your picture, you should be careful the align the contact point for the upper end of the go bar directly above (as close as possible) the lower contact point. Some of yours are at an angle, which will contribute to the top dinging slippage you were referring to.

Also, you might consider making the unit taller, and perhaps significantly so. Longer rods are easier to worth with (easier to flex, but provide the same clamping pressure). This will also give you the flexibility for using longer or shorter rods for different operations (like Gene showed in his excellent example). Lastly, it will make your mobile work surface taller, and perhaps a little more comfortable to work with.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
David L

Post by David L »

My gobar rods (rubber tipped fiberglass) are 24" long, my deck is built on threaded rods so that I can adjust the height so I can do brace glue-ups, adjust the deck and I'm good to close the box with the same rods.

David L