Work Table for Bending Iron

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
RnB

Work Table for Bending Iron

Post by RnB »

Came across this YT Video where the builder utilizes a table to aid the side bending process with using an Iron. For me, whose not quite proficient enough with an iron found it to be a useful item to keep the sides 90 degrees to the iron. I like his old school method of building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsDcM0HaqU
Kbore

Re: Work Table for Bending Iron

Post by Kbore »

Thanks for posting that video, fantastic watching a craftsman work.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

He's using an iron that looks almost identical to mine. The table is a great idea. Thanks for posting.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I tried a table and I never had any luck with it.
Here is one trick I did learn when I was hand bending

you need 2 things a pull slat you can take a piece of aluminum or stainless that is flxible and help sandwich tighter curves
A steam iron

When you are dealing with high figure woods there is a high degree of cracking because of the run out of the wood that gives it that distinct pattern Using a slat you can "PRESS" the wood with more control. The cracking comes from flexing it over the iron.
On high figure I used the steam iron with the bendind iron and with that I could steam the wood and heat on both side at the waist to get a higher degree of success in bending. It didn't take me long to realize the bending machine was more efficient . I can bend in less than 5 min but again I am doing a bit more . I bend just about daily .

Never be afraid to experiment. Find what works for you as there is always another way that works
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
RnB

Post by RnB »

tippie53 wrote:Never be afraid to experiment.

I did make my own table. I thought it would be advantageous to this novice bender. Basically copied it from the video above.

As a trial bend on Australian Blkwood that's the intended B&S wood I chose for this build, I used the cutoffs' from the back pieces to get an idea how well it would bend. It bent fairly easy & all went well even though the depth was way off...

Figuring that the trial bend went w/o issue, I thought I'd go ahead & bend the sides for the SJ. I had thicknessed the sides down to .075", whereas the trial pieces were about .090". I didn't get very far on the waist bend when I started to feel a crack develop. After that, it was all downhill! Cracked the waist in 4 spots. A failed attempt...sigh! I should've been more careful w/ this flamey wood. Not sure if it can be saved?

tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

this can be repairable
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com